Loudwater

Loudwater

Monday, 11 January 2021

FA2 4/8/1359 DR - The Ghostly Watchman, Vermin (67 XP)

THE FAERUN SEVEN  (From Session 2: vs. the vermin) - by Kimberly Pauley

Bryn was waiting for the warlock and the half-orc to recover from their encounter with the nasty giant centipedes and looking idly out the tower window. There wasn’t much to see, just a man she didn’t recognise riding by on horseback. He was finely dressed and she wondered, for a moment, what he might be carrying on him. Suddenly, a gigantic raven ridden by what looked like a smaller raven swooped down and snatched the man from his horse. It flew swiftly away south over the Darkwood, carrying the dangling figure in its claws.

 

“Whoa! Did anyone else see that?!” She babbled out a nearly coherent description of what had happened. Thibault rushed over but didn’t see anything. He looked at her doubtfully.

 

Mistle didn’t get up to look, but she spoke dreamily from the corner she’d been resting in. “Oh, yes, I’ve heard tell of raven folk who live in the Darkwood in a giant hollow oak tree. Didn’t think they much messed about with stealing humanfolk away, though.”

 

"But it left the horse. Seems odd, don't you think?" Bryn repressed a shudder. Giant bugs. Creepy bird folk stealing unsuspecting travellers. Probable ghosts. She just wanted to get the treasure Vrena had promised and get out of this broken down tower. "If it were just looking for a meal, you'd think it would take the horse as well.”

 

Thibault still looked doubtful. “Look, there,” she said, “there’s the horse.”

 

“Oh, I see,” he said.

 

"Have some faith.” She turned away from the window. “I may be a thief, but I'm not a liar." She muttered the last to herself.

 

"Nowt as queer as Ravenfolk!" said Greeba cheerfully.

 

They rested a while longer until Gorlock sprang to his feet. “I’m feeling better. Let’s explore the rest of the tower!”

 

"Vrena, will you please lead?” asked Greeba. The thief reluctantly complied, the half-orc following after.

 

They all made their way to the top of the tower with nothing to show for it – the only thing Bryn had found so far worth taking was a chess set. That, and the barrels of oil in a storage room just below the top of the tower. She was starting to wonder if Vrena was setting them up in some elaborate scheme. But, at the top of the tower, they found the ghost of Brecos.

 

Wind whipped across the battlements, buffeting them. A stack of wood, taller than an average human, sat in the center, unlit and rotting. The last beacon, never lit. A pair of struts and pulleys were affixed to one ledge, old ropes descending from them to the ground.

 

But it was the old, yellowed, skeleton in an oilskin coat propped against the woodpile that drew their eyes. A translucent form appeared above the remains.

 

Thibault dropped to his knees and began to pray. Bryn shifted farther away.

"Who are you? Do you need help?" asked Greeba, clutching her sturdy Warhammer.

 

Gorlock, seemingly unsurprised, bowed to the apparition. “How can we be of service?”

 

The ghost opened it’s mouth and for a moment they heard nothing, then a faint voice.

"Hello there.... I've waited a long time for you."

 

"For us personally?" Bryn looks at Vrena. "Or just anyone?"

 

The ghost ignored her, turning to Gorlock and Greeba. “Aye, help is what I need.”

 

"What can we do? What do you need?" The warlock and berserker spoke almost in unison.

 

"She... she is down below, waiting for you. She controls the vermin, like she controlled me. You need to stop her!"

 

"Ah, the evil below. Of course." Bryn’s hand dropped to the hilt of her rapier. Figures they should have gone below first. But, maybe they could get some useful information out of the old man’s ghost.

 

"The woman... she came here... beautiful. She charmed me... made me do things..."

"...Bad things. But I'm no murderer! I found a moment of lucidity, came up here and took the rat poison. But even now I'm not free..."

 

"How can we free you? If we kill her, the magic will end?" Gorlock and Greeba both had moved closer to the ghost, so intent were they on hearing his story.

 

He looked to Gorlock. "There is a trapdoor in the entry hall, down to the cellar. There, a hidden door behind the wine rack leads to the caves... You must defeat her, then I can be free...” His voice was a mere wisp.

 

“Did you ingest all of the rat poison?” asked Thibault, almost to himself.

 

Thibault fumbled among the wreckage and found an empty vial of poison by the body. The ghost looked thoughtful. "Aye, surely... but her vermin will seek to overwhelm you. I must give you my strength...”

 

"What were the things she made you do? What was her purpose?" The ghost was rambling. He hadn’t told them much that was useful as yet. But he ignored her.

 

"Her vermin? You mean the centipedes?" asked Greeba, shuddering in revulsion.

 

"Centipedes, rats, bats..." The ghost beckoned to Gorlock, and floated towards him. He reached into his chest, pulled out a wisp of ectoplasm, and reached for Gorlock's heart.

 

"Gorlock, look out!” shouted Greeba. They all as one stepped forwards, but Bryn didn’t detect any malice in the ghost.

 

"I don't think he's lying, at least, for what it’s worth,” said Bryn.

 

Gorlock was poised to run. The ghost stopped. "You must take my gift willingly, or not at all."

 

“Are you…lending us your strength?” asked Greeba.

 

The ghost nodded and reached again for Gorlock. The warlock braced himself, but stayed steady.

 

"His name was Brecos," said Vrena, softly.

 

“You knew him?” asked Greeba.

 

"He was still alive when I was young... during the war... the last watchman... a smuggler, they said."

 

"Was the talk of treasure a ruse to get us to come to the tower, Vrena?" Bryn took a hard look at the thief. Had she had an ulterior motive? Had she known that it was his ghost that dwelt here? Perhaps there was no treasure at all, and this was merely revenge. For what, who knew.

 

Vrena glared at Bryn. "Don't be foolish."

 

Bryn shrugged. "Just asking. We've seen naught but barrels of oil so far."

 

Meanwhile, the ghost’s cold hand entered Gorlock’s chest, meeting no resistance. The warlock shivered, but stood taller after, almost shining with good health. But Brecos had faded and grown more insubstantial.

 

“Thank you, my friend,” said the warlock to the ghost.

 

"I can aid all of you... though there will be little of me left when it's done. The strength will only last an hour or so, you must be quick."

 

“Then let us not waste time,” said Bryn, stepping forwards. Quickly, they all lined up to receive the ghost’s blessing. By the last, he was barely a memory, his voice the barest of whispers.

 

“Thank you, good Sir,” said Thibault. “Would you like to receive the last rites? Before you pass away?”

 

He nodded to Thibault. "Do it once she's gone and my tower is free."

 

"Thank you, boosted with your strength the just will surely prevail,” said Greeba.

 

"Good luck..." said Brecos, and vanished, leaving behind only old bones.

 

They quickly descended, grabbing a few barrels of the oil as they went. So long as the evil below wasn’t a ghost, surely fire would help tame it.

 

At the bottom of the tower, Bryn noticed a door they had not entered before. Would there be anything of interest there? Perhaps, even, something that would help them? Or something shiny and gold?

 

Mistle and Greeba had noticed it as well. As one, they opened the door and crept into the room, the door creaking. It held only a bunk bed a couple of chests, and a small table with a chipped stoneware basin and ewer. Hardly something to write home about. Mistle, eagle-eyed, pointed out the water damage to the floor. “The floor could be treacherous here where it's rotten...be careful!”

 

Bryn weighed her options. So far, this little adventure had brought them nothing but trouble. She couldn’t leave the chests unopened. She nodded to Greeba and Mistle and then leapt to the closest chest on her tiptoes, landing so lightly it wouldn’t have disturbed a fly. She opened the chest. Unlocked and deservedly so – it was empty even of cobwebs. She shook her head at Greeba, who deflated.

 

Bryn swiftly and gracefully moved on to the other chest, harkening back to her days of interminable dance lessons. At least they had proved useful, just not in the way her father had intended. She opened the last chest and made a face. Nothing.

 

“Ah, fie! Let’s go sort this hag out!”

 

“Greeba, help me get this trap door open,” said Vrena, straining to lift it by the iron handle. The half-orc easily prised it open and they descended into the darkness of the cellar. A pervasive odor of rot and mold fouled the air. Bags of roots and tubers hung from the ceiling

overhead, having sprouted roots through the cloth and withered in their time here. A stack of moldy sacks were piled to the side of the stairs. A pair of wine racks sat against one wall.

 

One of the racks has suffered a partial collapse, leaving bottles and broken glass on the floor. Skittering could be heard from the dark corners of the room that were not reached by the torch Vrena was holding.

 

"I rather wish I'd brought my cat," said Bryn, taking a look around. Ah! But there, behind one of the wine racks, she could see the outline of a hidden door. She pointed at it and nodded to Greeba.

 

“Shall I kick the door?” asked the half-orc.

 

“How about I’ll try opening it first?” asked Bryn. The half-orc was eager, that was certain.

 

“Yes, I think silence is of the essence here!” whispered Mistle.

 

“But be ready with the barrel. Vrena, you have the torch handy? Thibault, by me?” As Bryn approached the wine rack, swarms of red-eyed rats erupted from the piles of sacking, squeaking angrily.

 

They headed straight towards Mistle. Vrena drew her hand crossbow and shot at them and then retreated up the stairs, leaving the halfling below. Mistle slashed at the approaching horde with her short sword as they swarmed over her legs.

 

Bryn muttered the only elf cantrip she knew, poison spray, at them, but they seemed immune to the attack. At the very least, they ignored it.

 

"Burn the little buggers!" yelled Greeba.

 

Xarius, the half-elf sorcerer broke his long silence. “Fire? Acid? Ah, poison!” A puff of poisonous gas wafted over the rats nearest him, but they shook it off.

 

Gorlock, stumbling to back away, fired an eldritch blast, but it barely signed the fur on one rat. Eamon, the even quieter monk, danced in with his scabbarded sword and laid about him. Two rats fell dead. He kicked about and two more lay squashed upon the ground.

 

"I do believe your nickname is going to be Exterminator, Eamon," said Bryn.

 

“I'm far too weak for a title like that,” he muttered, scraping some blood off his shoe.

 

Thibault moved swiftly forwards to protect Mistle and threw the barrel of oil he’d been lugging right into the midst of the swarm. Some were immediately crushed. Then the barrel burst open and drenched the remaining rats in slick oil. The squeaked in rodent-y rage and moved in to attack Mistle and Eamon.

 

Oily rats swarmed her, even managing to get under her armour, and biting as they went. The ones that went after Eamon were not as lucky. He shook them off with sweeping kicks and they went flying.

 

Greeba roared. She grabbed the rat-covered halfling and pulled her up the stairs, still covered in oily rats.

 

Mistle managed to fend off nine of the distracted critters, her face screwed up in disgust. You could barely see her under the rats.

 

“Stand back!” yelled Bryn, and tossed her torch on the remaining oil-covered rats on the cellar floor. She pulled Eamon back, hoping not to singe the monk. WHOOMF. The oil goes up, the sacking helping to fuel the fire. It’s an inferno filled with screaming rats. Xarius casts poison spray at them again, but the flames burn it away before it can do any damage.

 

Gorlock, perhaps shaken by the flames, again attempts an eldritch blast, but it misses the rats and hits a nearby wall. Eamon, unperturbed, punches and kicks at anything near him, killing some half-singed rats. Thibault weighs in with his blade, taking out even more of the foul creatures.

 

But on the stairs, Mistle was still covered in angry vermin. They bit and scratched at her. Greeba managed to scrape some of them off with her hand axe. Vrena’s aim was true, and with one shot she killed all five of the rats near Thibault. Mistle laid about her with a flurry of swipes with her short sword, remarkably calm considering.

 

Bryn bounded up the stairs and aided her with her rapier, managing to kill the last of the rats clinging to the halfling. She wipes her blade to get the rat blood off. The smell was unimaginable in the cellar. Foul smoke, singed fur, the stink of the rats’ nest.

 

They all took a deep breath, regretting it immediately.

 

“My, my, I'll be needing a swig of wine or better yet, brandy after that!” Mistle headed towards the wine rack, but Thibault grabs her and casts cure wounds to get rid of the worst of the bites and scrapes.

 

Vrena moved the wine rack. "This secret door should open easy enough. Ready?" She seemed anxious to continue, but time was short. The door did indeed open quickly, but with a creak. They followed her down a limestone tunnel as it descended ever deeper. There was a flutter of leathery wings.

 

“Bats,” said Vrena.

 

“Rats with wings,” said Bryn, gritting her teeth and feeling grimy already.

 

“Finally, something I can shoot!” Mistle patted her bow.

 

The path opened into a tall, cathedral-like room. The floor was white with guano and crawling with beetles. It seemed as if the entire ceiling was seething with bats. They stirred as the group walked below them and then dropped down to attack with no warning.

 

Xarius put his hands to the sky and cast burning hands upon the bats above him. Fire erupted from his fingertips and a score of bats fell to the ground dead. But even more were waiting to swoop down upon them...



Bryn (Kimberly):I think the last thing that happened was I looked out the window and saw a well armoured dude on a horse riding by

Simon N. (GM):Yup
rolling d6
(
6
)
=
6
Bryn (Kimberly):But he wasn't headed to the tower and I didn't recognise him
Simon N. (GM):Heh. As Bryn watches the distant figure recede, a giant raven (with a smaller raven mounted on its back?) swoops down and plucks him from his horse!
Gorlock (Tony):if we do another short rest I get cure wounds spell
Greeba (Jelena):I thught we did
Bryn (Kimberly):"Whoa!" says Bryn. "Did anyone else see that?"
Simon N. (GM):It flies swiftly away south over the Darkwood, carrying the dangling figure in its claws.
Gorlock (Tony):wooh
Greeba (Jelena):"What was that?"
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I rush to the wiindow to see the raven taking the horseman.
WOW I say....
Bryn (Kimberly):"A giant raven just snatched a man off his horse!"
Simon N. (GM):GM: Do you want to do a 2nd short rest? If so let me know
Gorlock (Tony):yes please...
Simon N. (GM):Thibault roll Perception vs DC 15
Bryn (Kimberly):"But it left the horse. Seems odd, don't you think?"
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
11
Perception(+2)
Thibault of Brandiar
Simon N. (GM):Thibault sees nothing. Brynn must be imagining things >:)
Bryn (Kimberly):"If it were just looking for a meal, you'd think it would take the horse as well. I couldn't quite make out what was on the back of the raven though."
Gorlock (Tony):bummer
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Hummm. (dubious face)
Bryn (Kimberly):"Hmmmm. I wonder if the horse will still be there when we're done here..."
(Can I point out the horse to him? Maybe he'll believe me then.)
Simon N. (GM):Vrena Kell is looking around. She checks under the bed. "Nothing there... seems safe to rest if Gorlock needs more time to recover."
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Simon can I do a nature check with that info?
Re the raven?
Gorlock (Tony):thanks
Simon N. (GM):GM: Yes, Brynn points out the panicked riderless horse careering down the road until it disappears round a bend.
ok Jelly
Bryn (Kimberly):"I have some paper, I can sketch it if you like."
Simon N. (GM):Advtg as local Mistle
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20 +2
(
7
)
+2
=
9
Hmmmm.......
rolling 1d20 +2
(
9
)
+2
=
11
Not much better!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Oh I see (addressing Bryn) . I get it now.
Bryn (Kimberly):"Have some faith. I may be a thief, but I'm not a liar." (mutters to herslef...usually)
Simon N. (GM):OK - Mistle has heard tell of the Ravenfolk who ride giant ravens. Supposedly they live in a giant hollow oak in the Darkwood. They normally avoid humans though.
Gorlock (Tony):usually...
shall we continue to explore our building
Simon N. (GM):There are legends of ravenfolk stealing children, sheep, even grown men - but those are old tales, nothing current.
Greeba (Jelena):"Nowt as queer as Ravenfolk!" (I am full of witty aphorisms, me)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil)::-D
Simon N. (GM):GM: OK you can short rest again (so 2 hours since the centipedes) & Gorlock recovers his spell slot
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Lol
Simon N. (GM):OOC Bill is asleep!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC Awwww
Bryn (Kimberly):Eamon: Zzzzzzz
Shall we continue upstairs?
Eamon (Bill):"zzzzzz"
Simon N. (GM):Vrena nods.
Gorlock (Tony):can we explore rest of tower
Greeba (Jelena):After the short rest we continue to explore the tower
?
Gorlock (Tony):I will stay to the back...
OOC not used to being so squishy
Greeba (Jelena):"Vrena, will you please lead?
Bryn (Kimberly):Shall I stealthily go first? Or shall the large armoured one clank up first?
Greeba (Jelena):"I will be right behind you
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I'll go behind Bryn to back up with arrows.
Gorlock (Tony):since you say it that way...
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I think it's good if I go first. I have the best armour I believe.
Simon N. (GM):3. STORAGE ROOM
Stacks of old wood and barrels crowd half the space in
this room. A noticeable odor of oil is present here. The
stairs end here, but a smaller ramp ascends one wall
to a trapdoor in the ceiling.
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):brb
Greeba (Jelena):"WHat's this smell?
Gorlock (Tony):shall we go up to see what we can see
Simon N. (GM):Those of you PP 12+ notice the floor is slick with lantern oil.
Gorlock (Tony):11
Bryn (Kimberly):"Watch out for the oil on the floor. 'Tis slick."
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I tell the others about the oil: Nobody lights a pipe!
Dragonking1million :12
Bryn (Kimberly):"Should we check the barrels first?"
Gorlock (Tony):look for booby traps
Bryn (Kimberly):(PP 15)
Greeba (Jelena):"Ah, oil! Is that what's in the barrels? Let's check
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):To GM: Is the lantern oil enought to get us on fire of a spark ignites it?
Bryn (Kimberly):Can I check for any traps? Because I wonder why the oil is there
Gorlock (Tony):exactly, I smell a trap
Bryn (Kimberly):If it were ancient, wouldn't the smell have died away?
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Be careful. everyone! I love cooking, but only up to a point!
Simon N. (GM):Vrena: "Wood... oil... for the Watch Beacon. In case Zhengyi's army came this way."
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Oooh. Good point!
Greeba (Jelena):Greeba is keen to find out what's in the barrels, but loathe to go first after the centipede episode
Bryn (Kimberly):"Still, how long would the smell last?"
Simon N. (GM):Thibault - an applied torch would light the oil. Prob not a mere spark.
Greeba (Jelena):"Ah, thanks Vrena
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):To GM: Can we use the planks of wood to improvise some stairs/footholds on the sloped ramp?
Gorlock (Tony):shall we peek up top
Greeba (Jelena):Or can we try athletics to run up?
Simon N. (GM):The barrels are definitely leaking - it's vegetable oil.
Greeba (Jelena):"I can push the lighter members of our party up the ramp, maybe?
Simon N. (GM):You can easily walk up the ramp (at half speed).
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Cool! I walk up the ramp
Bryn (Kimberly):I watch to see what Vrena does.
Simon N. (GM):Brynn sees no man made traps - but best to tread cautiously here and be careful w flames
Max:brb, in need of bread
Bryn (Kimberly):Does she follow them or is she holding back?
Gorlock (Tony):man made...
Greeba (Jelena):"is that... someone? Where the ghost came from?
Gorlock (Tony):ghost...
??
Simon N. (GM):The Roof: THE BEACON
The wind whips across the battlements.
A stack of wood, taller than an average human, sits in the center, unlit and rotting. A pair of struts and pulleys is affixed to one ledge, old ropes descending from them to the ground. An old, yellowed, skeleton in an oilskin coat and the rotted remains of
other clothing lies propped against the woodpile.
Bryn (Kimberly):"Thibault did detect ghostly energy up here before."
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):@gorlock: I detected a ghostly presence upstairs earlier.
Greeba (Jelena):OOC the most priestly of us should say th e last rites for the ghost to find peace
Gorlock (Tony):ah.
Bryn (Kimberly):"What's that pile of extra clothes? Was there another body here before?"
Simon N. (GM):A slightly translucent fellow is appearing over the remains.
Gorlock (Tony):someone ready to be burned....but not...
ooooooo
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):It's putting me off doing a BBQ for a while, I can tell you.........
Gorlock (Tony):oy hello there
Max:'ello there
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I get on one knee and start praying for that poor abandoned soul.
Greeba (Jelena):"Who are you? Do you need help?" whilst clutching my warhammer
Max:(ooc)
Gorlock (Tony):how can we be of service?
Simon N. (GM):He seems to be speaking to you - for a moment you hear nothing, then a faint voice.
"Hello there.... I've waited a long time for you."
Greeba (Jelena):I exchange looks with Gorlock and Vrena
Bryn (Kimberly):"For us personally?" Bryn looks at Vrena. "Or just anyone?"
Simon N. (GM):The ghost looks to Greeba. "Aye, help."
Max:hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Speak, my poor fellow...
Gorlock (Tony):how can we help
Greeba (Jelena):"What can we do? What do you need?"
Simon N. (GM):"She... she is down below, waiting for you. She controls the vermin, like she controlled me. You need to stop her!"
Gorlock (Tony):she?
Bryn (Kimberly):"Ah, the evil below. Of course."
Greeba (Jelena):"That's what we're here for!"
Gorlock (Tony):how do we get to her?
Greeba (Jelena):"Tell us your story, though"
Simon N. (GM):"The woman... she came here... beautiful. She charmed me... made me do things..."
"...Bad things. But I'm no murderer! I found a moment of lucidity, came up here and took the rat poison. But even now I'm not free..."
Greeba (Jelena):OOC Sorceress?
Bryn (Kimberly):"Who is she? Has she any weakness? What type of creature is she?"
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC sounds like it!
Bryn (Kimberly):OOC Lamia?
Greeba (Jelena):"How can we free you? If we kill her, the magic will end?"
Simon N. (GM):He looks to Gorlock. "There is a trapdoor in the entry hall, down to the cellar. There, a hidden door behind the wine rack leads to the caves..."
Gorlock (Tony):any hidden traps?
Simon N. (GM):"You must defeat her, then I can be free..."
Bryn (Kimberly):"Will fire burn her?"
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):How much of the rat poison did you ingest?
Gorlock (Tony):what does she want, why is she here?
Max:magic resistance?
Simon N. (GM):Thibault finds the empty vial of poison by the body. The ghost looks thoughtful. "Aye, surely... but her vermin will seek to overwhelm you. I must give you my strength..."
Gorlock (Tony):thank you sir
Simon N. (GM):"I do not know why she came. Or what she truly is. Only, evil..."
Bryn (Kimberly):"What were the things she made you do? What was her purpose?"
Simon N. (GM):Brynn roll Persuasion (DC 12)
Greeba (Jelena):"Her vermin? You mean the centipedes?" Shudders in revulsion
Bryn (Kimberly):
6
PERSUASION (1)
Simon N. (GM):He ignores Brynn. :)
Bryn (Kimberly):OOC haha
Simon N. (GM):"Centipedes, rats, bats..."
Bryn (Kimberly):OOC I am not the charismatic type of thief. I be stabby and crabby.
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
14
Persuasion(+5)
Thibault of Brandiar
Simon N. (GM):The ghost beckons to Gorlock, and steps/float towards him.
Gorlock (Tony):My dear sir, can you let us know what she made you do?
7 + 2
PERSUASION (5)
Simon N. (GM):(he ignores Thibault)
Gorlock (Tony):ugh
Bryn (Kimberly):Does the ghost seem trustworthy ...?
8
PERCEPTION (5)
Simon N. (GM):He reaches into his chest, pulls out a wisp of ectoplasm, and reaches for Gorlock's own chest.
Bryn (Kimberly):NVM, I have no idea.
Gorlock (Tony):we can roll at all
Simon N. (GM):That's Insight
Gorlock (Tony):cant
Bryn (Kimberly):
18
INSIGHT (5)
Simon N. (GM):You don't detect falsehood from him.
Greeba (Jelena):"Gorlock, look out!
Bryn (Kimberly):"I don't think he's lying, at least"
Simon N. (GM):GM: Is Gorlock letting himself be touched?
Gorlock (Tony):I try to run
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I start preparing my Exorcism kit... :-D
Greeba (Jelena):OOC maybe he wants to pass his knowledge?
Simon N. (GM):The ghost stops. "You must take my gift willingly, or not at all."
Gorlock (Tony):whoa, what are you doing
Bryn (Kimberly):"What are you doing, ghost?" (OOC If I remembered his name from when Vrena told me, I'd use it)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):It seems he's trying to help?
Gorlock (Tony):ok, I will. OOC wish me luck
Greeba (Jelena):"Are you lensing us your strength?
Gorlock (Tony):Thanks you dear sir
Greeba (Jelena):lending
Simon N. (GM):Vrena: "His name was Brecos."
The ghost nods to Greeba and reaches again for Gorlock.
Greeba (Jelena):Looking at Vrena "You knew him?
Simon N. (GM):Vrena: "He was still alive when I was young... during the war... the last watchman... a smuggler, they said."
Bryn (Kimberly):"Was the talk of treasure a ruse to get us to come to the tower, Vrena?"
Simon N. (GM):Vrena glares at Brynn. "Don't be foolish."
Bryn (Kimberly):Bryn shrugs. "Just asking. We've seen naught but barrels of oil so far."
Greeba (Jelena):"Good, because I want that treasure! And to rid the world of evil, too"
Bryn (Kimberly):"But, yes, let's purge the evil below. Evil always has treasure, doesn't it?"
Simon N. (GM):GM: The ghost's hand enters Gorlock's chest. It's very cold.
Gorlock (Tony):I shudder
Greeba (Jelena):"OOC spoooky
Gorlock (Tony):and shiver
Simon N. (GM):The ghost fades somewhat as he withdraws his hand. Gorlock feels stronger (+5 hp)
Bryn (Kimberly):Standing behind him, Bryn puts a hand against Gorlock's back to steady him.
Gorlock (Tony):wooohoot
Bryn (Kimberly):OOC oooh temporary? or permanent?
Greeba (Jelena):"Thank you, Brecos
Gorlock (Tony):Thank you my good friend
Greeba (Jelena):"We will free you"
Simon N. (GM):Ghost: "I can aid all of you... though there will be little of me left when it's done. The strength will only last an hour or so, you must be quick."
GM: Do you all want boosted (+5 temp hp)?
Gorlock (Tony):to the caverns
Greeba (Jelena):"Lets take some of those oil barrels to light up the vermin
Bryn (Kimberly):OOC Yes, please
Gorlock (Tony):yes, get boosted
Greeba (Jelena):OOC YEs please
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Yes please!
Gorlock (Tony):it's awesome
Bryn (Kimberly):"Then let us not waste time." Bryn presents herself to Brecos.
Simon N. (GM):Brynn next
then Thibault
Ghost is looking fainter
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Thank you, good Sir. Would you like to receive the last rites?
Before you pass away?
Simon N. (GM):He nods to Thibault. "Do it once she's gone and my tower is free."
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC yes please!
Simon N. (GM):Mistle...
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I will, brave Brecos.
Simon N. (GM):Vrena...
Greba...
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Don't worry, friend, we'll put this place, and you, to rest.
Simon N. (GM):Eamon...
Bryn (Kimberly):(to Greeba) "Do you think you could carry a barrel or two of that oil?"
Simon N. (GM):And finally the ghost gives a wisp to Xarius.
Greeba (Jelena):"Thank you, boosted with your strength the just will surely prevail
Simon N. (GM):The ghost is nearly gone now (-40 hp)
Gorlock (Tony):let's get a move on, we haven't much time
Greeba (Jelena):"At least 2, and anyone else? We need the oil to burn the vermin
Simon N. (GM):His voice is just a whisper: "Good luck..."
Bryn (Kimberly):Bryn bows to Brecos. "We will avenge you. I swear it."
Simon N. (GM):He vanishes.
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I start sliding down the ramp
Simon N. (GM):OOC ok you all have 5 temp hp
Bryn (Kimberly):OOC Woot! We're likely to need it.
Gorlock (Tony):I'm sticking to the rear
Greeba (Jelena):I grab a barrel (can I carry 2, Simon?)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I grab a barrel of oil on the way.
Bryn (Kimberly):"I'm not sure how many we'll need. We'll have to get it down the trapdoor as it is."
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I wait downstair until the group is finally gathered.
Simon N. (GM):GM: The barrels are pretty big, but Greeba can carry too if she slings her shield & puts hammer in belt loop.
two
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Now, where is that wine cellar.......
Bryn (Kimberly):Hey, did we go in that other door?
Simon N. (GM):no
Greeba (Jelena):OOC and how many moves will I need to drop that and get my weapon?>
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):It must be through there?
Simon N. (GM):The trapdoor is in the entry hall
Gorlock (Tony):I see it
Bryn (Kimberly):The trapdoor is over here, where the foul creatures came from
Greeba (Jelena):"Mistle, it's the trapdoor that the boxes were hiding
Bryn (Kimberly):My skin is still crawling. Ugh.
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Oh yes!
Greeba (Jelena):sHALL WE CHECK THE OTHER DOOR FIRST?
Sorry
Simon N. (GM):>>OOC and how many moves will I need to drop that and get my weapon?<< you can drop barrels draw hammer & attack in 1 round, but no shield
Greeba (Jelena):OOC thanks
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Why not Greeba?
Gorlock (Tony):max, move your token
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Mistle will have a listen at the door first.
rolling 1d20 +4
(
17
)
+4
=
21
Simon N. (GM):silence
Greeba (Jelena):I temporarily put 1 barrel down and follow Mistle
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Perception, listening for rats.....
Greeba (Jelena):Warhammer in one hand
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I'll try the door
Bryn (Kimberly):If it's locked, I can have a go at it.
Simon N. (GM):The door creaks open.
This small room holds a bunk bed, a pair of chests,
and a small table holding a stoneware basin and ewer.
Greeba (Jelena):The chests? What is in them?
Simon N. (GM):Mistle notices water has got in on the north side, the wood floor looks pretty rotten.
The chests are closed.
Gorlock (Tony):dont fall through
Greeba (Jelena):"Bryn! We need you to check for traps!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):The floor could be treacherous here where it's rotten...be careful!
Simon N. (GM):Is Brynn going in?
Bryn (Kimberly):Perception check?
Greeba (Jelena):"Oh, OK - I better stay away from the rotten bits
Bryn (Kimberly):Yes, I will
on tiptoe
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I give a rope to Bryn so she can get secured.
I give her one extremity and Grab the other.
Simon N. (GM):GM: Brynn enters cautiously. The rotten floor creaks under her tread - the centre and north side is in a bad way.
The west side where the bed is looks more solid.
Also by the east door looks ok.
Bryn (Kimberly):I tie/wrap my end of the rope around my waist.
Greeba (Jelena):"Keep to the wall, Bry! Please check the chests for traps
Simon N. (GM):There is one chest by the bed, another by the n wall.
Bryn (Kimberly):Ok, I'll carefully move over to the chest by the bed first
OOC Thieve's tools or perception check?
Greeba (Jelena):"Any treasure?" Quite keen here
Gorlock (Tony):we haven't much time folks!!!
Simon N. (GM):(I'm using your Passives) Brynn moves over to the chest, it seems simple, unlocked (just a catch) and untrapped.
Gorlock (Tony):hurry it up
Bryn (Kimberly):Ok, I'll open it. Quickly.
Simon N. (GM):It opens easily - empty.
Greeba (Jelena):Disappointment darkens Greeba's face
Bryn (Kimberly):If it looks safe, I will quickly move to the other chest, taking care to play "the floor is lava"
And take a look at that one
Simon N. (GM):It'll be tough to get to the north chest w/out stepping on the rotten floor (DC 8 Acrobatics)
Bryn (Kimberly):
22
ACROBATICS (5)
Greeba (Jelena):"It stands to reason that the Sorceress, or whoever she is, would hold the treasure close to her
Gorlock (Tony):agred
Greeba (Jelena):"but jus tthis last one, great jump, Bryn!
Simon N. (GM):Brynn edges round to the north chest safely, checks it & opens it - empty too.
Bryn (Kimberly):I move with subtle and lithe speed to the other chest
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):"And if you fall Bryn, she will be in a position of advantage"
Greeba (Jelena):Sigh
Bryn (Kimberly):"Ah, fie! Let's go sort this hag out."
Simon N. (GM):DC 8 Acrobatics to leave :)
Bryn (Kimberly):
22
ACROBATICS (5)
13
ACROBATICS (5)
Simon N. (GM):OK Brynn have Inspiration
Greeba (Jelena):Picking up the second barrel, warhammer again tucked in belt
Bryn (Kimberly):I end with a graceful bow at the door.
:-)
Gorlock (Tony):down the hatch...
Simon N. (GM):Vrena: "Greba. Help me get it open..."
Gorlock (Tony):meat shields first
Simon N. (GM):The hatch lifts...
Greeba (Jelena):"Thanks for checking, Bryn - I couldn't have walked through there without falling through the floor
Bryn (Kimberly):"Watch out for creepy crawlies...."
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Sorry, I lost my token. I'm leaving the game and getting back in quick.
Simon N. (GM):Vrena lights a torch.
THE CELLAR
A pervasive odor of rot and mold fouls the air here.
Bags of roots and tubers hang from the ceiling
overhead, having sprouted roots through the cloth
and withered in their time here. A stack of moldy
Simon N. (GM):sacks rises to the side of the stairs. A pair of wine racks
sit against one wall. One of the racks has suffered
a partial collapse, leaving bottles and broken glass
on the floor. Skittering can be heard from the dark
corners of the room.
Bryn (Kimberly):"I rather wish I'd brought my cat."
Simon N. (GM):Brynn's keen eyes make out the outline of part of a hidden door behind the south wine rack.
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):@simon: I have lost my token by accidentally pressing the delete key. :-(
Can you bring it back up by any chance?
Greeba (Jelena):Any doors?
Thanks Simon
Bryn (Kimberly):Bryn points to the hidden door.
And nods at the half-orc.
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I'm back! Thanks!
Greeba (Jelena):"Shall I kick the door?
Bryn (Kimberly):"How about I'll try opening it first?
Gorlock (Tony):less noise...
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Yes, I think silence is of the essence here!
Simon N. (GM):Move up to where you want to be.
Greeba (Jelena):"Go ahead, my hands are otherwise occupied
Bryn (Kimberly):But be ready with the barrel. Vrena, you have the torch handy?
Thibault, by me?
Simon N. (GM):wine rack in SW corner
Gorlock (Tony):we need Eamon up froint
Simon N. (GM):Red-eyed rats emerge from the sack piles, squeaking angrily!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Can I check the wine rack for any intact bottles?
Oh.........
Simon N. (GM):ok roll init
Bryn (Kimberly):"Ugh, rats!"
Gorlock (Tony):I stay on the stairs
Bryn (Kimberly):
16
INITIATIVE (3)
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Swarm of Rats
Initiative: 8
Greeba (Jelena):
5
INITIATIVE (1)
Dragonking1million :
21
INITIATIVE (3)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
8
Initiative(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar
Gorlock (Tony):
12
INITIATIVE (2)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20+3
(
18
)
+3
=
21
Dragonking1million :
9
INITIATIVE (3)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Yay!
Simon N. (GM):everyone on chart?
Max:
8
INITIATIVE (2)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):No :-(
Bryn (Kimberly):Max, did you select your token
Simon N. (GM):click token open char sheet roll init
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I tried clicking mini but nothing happened
Gorlock (Tony):Max is having issues
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I already rolled, got a 21!
Simon N. (GM):ok I'll roll for you Jelly
Initiative
Initiative: 20
Max:
13
INITIATIVE (2)
Greeba (Jelena):still good
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 22
Gorlock (Tony):woohoot we did it!
crap, really
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC I'm sorry I can't find those options. Maybe someone can walk me through it a bit earlier than start time next week?
Gorlock (Tony):ah vrena, I thought rats
Bryn (Kimberly):ooc how many rats are in a swarm, anyway?
Greeba (Jelena):OOC no, rats are just before my turn!
Gorlock (Tony):OOC, jelly, click token, then click initiative on the character sheet
Simon N. (GM):Jelly open Journal tab top right, click on your PC, click char sheet tab, click Initiative
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC Tony I'm in firefox, think it might only work in Chrome?
Simon N. (GM):#22 Vrena draws hand x-bow and shoots at the rats coming at Mistle
Bryn (Kimberly):ooc I did have to switch from Safari to Chrome to get some things to work so that might be part of it
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d20+4
(
2
)
+4
=
6
misses
Greeba (Jelena):OOC Jelly, we can do it in Zoom when you're free if it's easier to see myscreen (for next session)
Gorlock (Tony):Go gettem Vrena
Simon N. (GM):& backs up stairs
#20 Mistle
Gorlock (Tony):wus
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC thanks Jelena, that would be great! (and just tried Simon's method doesn't work in Firefox it seems)
I'll shoot at nearest rat.
Simon N. (GM):they're right on you M
so you'd have disad shooting
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):In that case, short swords!
I have two weapon fighting
Simon N. (GM):AC 10...
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20 +5
(
18
)
+5
=
23
Simon N. (GM):Rangers don't get fighting style until 2nd?
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d6+3
(
4
)
+3
=
7
OOC Oh, well seems to be on my sheet strangely? Must be D&D Beyond error.......
In that case will make an off-hand attack with other sword.
Simon N. (GM):you can attack but no dmg bonus
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20 +5
(
13
)
+5
=
18
rolling 1d6
(
1
)
=
1
Gorlock (Tony):thats better
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Every little helps!
Gorlock (Tony):ish
Simon N. (GM):Mistle slashes & stabs at the rats as they scamper up her legs.
Brynn
Bryn (Kimberly):I move closer (10 ft range) and do poison spray at the noxious beasts
DC0
Constitution Save
3Poison
10 feet
Poison Spray
huh that looks weird
Greeba (Jelena):DC0?
Max:It roll syour con?
Bryn (Kimberly):
DC0
Constitution Save
5Poison
10 feet
Poison Spray
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d20-1
(
17
)
-1
=
16
16 on CON save, no effect
I assume DC 12 or so?
Bryn (Kimberly):My con is 11
Simon N. (GM):It prob keys off your INT?
High Elf cantrip
Bryn (Kimberly):yes, should
hmm
but my int is 14
Simon N. (GM):yup INT
DC 12 then
Bryn (Kimberly):I just dragged it on to the sheet
so is that right?
Max:hello
Simon N. (GM):#13 Xarius
Max:so...
Greeba (Jelena):"Burn the little buggers!"
Max:hmm
vote: ACID or FIRE
Dragonking1million :fire
Gorlock (Tony):fire
Max:i don't know which to use
Bryn (Kimberly):ACID, we've got barrels of oil
Gorlock (Tony):ok
Dragonking1million :burning hands would be good
Gorlock (Tony):acid
Max:i have: burning hands, acid splash, fire bolt
Gorlock (Tony):acid splash
Max:oh wait
oh wait
i have POION SPRAY
DC13
Constitution Save
8Poison
10 feet
Poison Spray
(From Bryn (Kimberly)): so did I set that up correctly on the sheet for poison spray or no?
Max:i attack nearest rat
Simon N. (GM):OK
rolling d20-1
(
19
)
-1
=
18
Gorlock (Tony):crap
Simon N. (GM):The rats are unaffected!
Bryn (Kimberly):ooc these are some hardy little rats!
Max:thats uh, my turn i guess
Simon N. (GM):#12 Gorlock
Gorlock (Tony):
10
120
Eldritch Blast (+5)
1force
Max:pff
Gorlock (Tony):really
Simon N. (GM):hit for 1!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC they're softening us up for the sorceress! :-(
Simon N. (GM):#9 Eamon
Dragonking1million :attack with staff
Simon N. (GM):Eamon attacks w 'staff' - actually a scabbarded sword
Dragonking1million :
rolling 1d20 + 5
(
19
)
+5
=
24
rolling 1d8 + 8
(
6
)
+8
=
14
rolling 1d8 + 3
(
1
)
+3
=
4
oopa
Bryn (Kimberly):ooc Go monk, go!
Simon N. (GM):Eamon kills 2 rats!
Gorlock (Tony):woohoot
Dragonking1million :im going to punch the rats
Greeba (Jelena):OOC how many in a swarm?
Simon N. (GM):7 rats dead so far BTW, 41 to go...
Dragonking1million :
rolling 1d20 + 5
(
8
)
+5
=
13
Bryn (Kimberly):41?? oi
Gorlock (Tony):jeez
Dragonking1million :
rolling 1d4 + 3
(
2
)
+3
=
5
Simon N. (GM):& kicks 2 more to death
Bryn (Kimberly):"I do believe your nickname is going to be Exterminator, Eamon."
Simon N. (GM):#8 Thibault
Greeba (Jelena):"ExterminRator!
Dragonking1million :i'm far too weak for a title like that
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I move towards the rats to protect Mistle and throw my barrel of oil right in the middle of the swarms
Simon N. (GM):ok roll a STR+prof check
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Hopefully crusg=hing the contents
22
Strength Save(+3)
Thibault of Brandiar
+2 tha's 23
24
Simon N. (GM):You crush a rat under the barrel. It bursts open drenching them all with oil!
Bryn (Kimberly):ooc Rat Bowling!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC squeak!!
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d6
(
6
)
=
6
Gorlock (Tony):stay out of the oil!!!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I suspect I don't have time to grab my shield and my longsword beofre the end of my turn?
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC now is that a good six, or a bad six??
Bryn (Kimberly):You could stomp one?
Simon N. (GM):#8 Oily rats attack Mistle & Eamon (it was good for Mistle - on a 1-3 all 38 rats would have attacked Mistle)
Thibault you can draw your sword (only)
Gorlock (Tony):great now we get covered in oil...
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Yikes!!
Simon N. (GM):Attack on Mistle
rolling d20+2
(
20
)
+2
=
22
oh dear
Rats get under her armour and bite her. One even bites her neck
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Oh........
Simon N. (GM):
rolling 4d6
(
4
+
1
+
1
+
3
)
=
9
9 dmg
Gorlock (Tony):yikes
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Hang on, I've got Lucky, can that help?
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Hope these are not vampire rats!
Bryn (Kimberly):Urk. Heebie Jeebies.
Simon N. (GM):(don't think so Jelly)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Very glad I took those temp HP in that case!
Gorlock (Tony):rabies shot
Simon N. (GM):"Lucky⁠. When you roll a 1 on the d20⁠ for an Attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll."
Rats on Eamon
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC thanks
Simon N. (GM):
rolling 1d20+2
(
6
)
+2
=
8
Eamon (Bill):ha miss
Gorlock (Tony):dont taunt the dm
Eamon (Bill):"take that you sack of rat"
Simon N. (GM):Eamon fends them off, rats flying from his sweeping kicks
#5 Greeba
Greeba (Jelena):Can I drop barrels, grab Misty, shake off the rats and run up the stairs?
Simon N. (GM):The rats would get opp atts
They're all over Mistle
Greeba (Jelena):What if I don't shake them off? How many are on her, all 18?
Simon N. (GM):14
Bryn (Kimberly):That's a lot of rats on a wee halfling
Greeba (Jelena):I want to move us off the soon to be burning floor, if I just grab her would it still give them opp at?
Simon N. (GM):Well they'd come with her I guess so no opp att
You can grab her & pull her back
Greeba (Jelena):OOC Jelly what do you think? Then you slap them off at your turn?
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC I think that sounds good
Greeba (Jelena):OK, grabbing Misty and pulling her with me up the stairs
(not up the stairs?
Simon N. (GM):You get to the foot of the stairs
Mistle still covered in oily rats
Greeba (Jelena):I have 30 speed
Bryn (Kimberly):...a sentence you never imagined you'd say
Simon N. (GM):You had to move forward grab & drag her & there's a crowd on the stairs
Greeba (Jelena):OK, thanks, that's me
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC lol oh dear!
Simon N. (GM):#22 Vrena shoots into the rats on Eamon
rolling d20+4
(
4
)
+4
=
8
misses again
#20 Mistle
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Here we go, I guess an unarmed attack to slap them off?
Simon N. (GM):Shortswords are short enough to scrape em off with
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Good to know!
Gorlock (Tony):Jump from the stairs...body slam
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20 #
(
17
)
=
17
Sorry
roll 1d20 +5
rolling 1d20+5
(
8
)
+5
=
13
Simon N. (GM):hit :)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Sorry hands slipping!
Greeba (Jelena):It's all the oil!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d6+3
(
4
)
+3
=
7
Simon N. (GM):3 killed
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):off hand attack
rolling 1d20 +5
(
17
)
+5
=
22
Simon N. (GM):hit
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d6
(
2
)
=
2
9 total
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Nobody wants to set them on fire now they are nice and oiled?
Simon N. (GM):1 more killed. The rats are weakening!
#16 Bryn
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I don't have any cheese, you little bastards!
Simon N. (GM):GM: If you use fire on the oily rats it'll do x2 dmg
Bryn (Kimberly):Ok.....
Are any of the rats still on the bottom oily as well?
Simon N. (GM):yup
Bryn (Kimberly):or just the ones clinging to poor Mistle?
Simon N. (GM):both lots
Bryn (Kimberly):Okay, can I yell "Stand back!", light my torch and throw it on them?
Simon N. (GM):yup
roll to hit AC 5 DEX + Prof
Bryn (Kimberly):Then I shall do that. If possible, I'll pull Eamon back with one arm while dropping the torch on the rats
since he seems closest.
7
DEXTERITY SAVE (5)
oh wait sorry
Simon N. (GM):WHOOMF
Bryn (Kimberly):Did I roll right dex thing?
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):BBQ time!
Greeba (Jelena):Yay!
Bryn (Kimberly):I have 17 dex so
Eamon (Bill):no but the bonuses are the same
Bryn (Kimberly):FRIED RAT FOR DINNER TONIGHT
Simon N. (GM):The oil goes up with the sacks it's an inferno... rats start screaming...
Bryn (Kimberly):"Run! If you can!"
Gorlock (Tony):new incantation
Simon N. (GM):#13 Xarius
Bryn (Kimberly):I imagine we have lost any element of surprise we might have had.
Are there any rats left below or are they all toast now?
Max:
DC13
Constitution Save
6Poison
10 feet
Poison Spray
nearest rat
\('-')/
Simon N. (GM):22 are still alive right now
rolling d20-1
(
15
)
-1
=
14
Gorlock (Tony):need and AOE spell....
Max::/
Simon N. (GM):The fire burns away the spray :P
Max:thats my turn
Simon N. (GM):#12 Gorlock
Gorlock (Tony):
6
120
Eldritch Blast (+5)
10force
crap
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly)::-(
Simon N. (GM):#9 Eamon
Gorlock (Tony):should just kick the bastards
Eamon (Bill):i hit with staff and punch
12
5 ft.
rolling 1d4 + 3
(
4
)
+3
=
7
rolling 1d8 + 3
(
6
)
+3
=
9
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Nice!
Simon N. (GM):killed 7, 15 left, on fire
#8 Thibault
Gorlock (Tony):should have taken armor of agathys and just laid in the middle, 5 cold damge fo reach attcak
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):As I couldn't pick my shield after dropping the barrel, I will use my longsword with 2 hands...
21

Longsword: to hit
Thibault of Brandiar
Gorlock (Tony):next time that the startegy
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
9

Longsword: damage
Thibault of Brandiar
Simon N. (GM):Thibault sweeps aside 4 rats
Greeba (Jelena):Did you catch a few with your longsword?
good
Simon N. (GM):
rolling 2d6
(
1
+
2
)
=
3
3 rats are burned to ddeath
the rats flee the flames, Eamon gets opp att
Eamon (Bill):
rolling 1d20 + 5
(
15
)
+5
=
20
rolling 1d8 + 3
(
4
)
+3
=
7
Simon N. (GM):killed 3
rats attack Thibault
Bryn (Kimberly):"I am definitely calling you Exterminator, Monk."
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d20+2
(
14
)
+2
=
16
Max:wait... how many rats
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d6
(
6
)
=
6
ouch, 6 dmg as they swarm over him
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Got it.
Simon N. (GM):11/17
I mean temps gone & 11/12
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Yep.
Simon N. (GM):Rats attacking Mistle
rolling d20+2
(
19
)
+2
=
21
rolling d6
(
2
)
=
2
2 dmg
Mistle on 6 hp
Gorlock (Tony):what is her max hp?
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly)::-(
12 HP max
Simon N. (GM):#5 Greeba
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):So I'm bloodied, basically.
Greeba (Jelena):Can I swipe the rats off Misty? By hand, or handaxe?
Simon N. (GM):sure, you can scrape em off w handaxe
Greeba (Jelena):
22
20/60
Handaxe (+5)
4Slashing
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Thank you :-)
Greeba (Jelena):Do i get 2 goes? as 2 handaxes usually?
Gorlock (Tony):how many f*'ing rats are left :(
Greeba (Jelena):or do a different roll?
Simon N. (GM):(no you can only draw one axe) Vrena shoots yet again
Quite a few rats are left
rolling d20+4
(
8
)
+4
=
12
Gorlock (Tony):dammit
Simon N. (GM):hit!
rolling 2d6+2
(
5
+
3
)
+2
=
10
takes out all 5 rats on Thibault :-D
Gorlock (Tony):nice!
Simon N. (GM):Guess she was just lining them up...
#20 Mistle
Greeba (Jelena)::D
Gorlock (Tony):bash yourself against the wall?
:)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):To Vrena: Thanks Mylady!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I'll do sword scraping again!
rolling 1d20 +5
(
10
)
+5
=
15
Simon N. (GM):hit (AC 10)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d6+3
(
6
)
+3
=
9
Gorlock (Tony):KILL
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Yes!!!
Simon N. (GM):4 killed
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Some left?
Simon N. (GM):Only a few left
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20 +5
(
3
)
+5
=
8
Simon N. (GM):miss
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Darn!
Simon N. (GM):#16 Bryn
Bryn (Kimberly):Ok, will use my rapier
Simon N. (GM):Foul smoke wafts up the stairs
Bryn (Kimberly):
15
Rapier (+5)
Simon N. (GM):Brynn picks off rats
can sneak
Bryn (Kimberly):
rolling 1d8+3
(
6
)
+3
=
9
rolling 1d6
(
5
)
=
5
Simon N. (GM):Brynn expertly stabs off the remaining rats!
You win
Gorlock (Tony):down the stairs out of smoke
Bryn (Kimberly):Bryn wipes her blade to remove any rat blood.
Max::0
Gorlock (Tony):well done, exterminators!
Simon N. (GM):Vrena: "cough"
Bryn (Kimberly):Should we let the fire burn out?
Or move on?
Simon N. (GM):The smoke flows up & out the tower door.
Gorlock (Tony):move on, no time
Greeba (Jelena):go down whilst we still have extra HP
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Let's move quickly if the smoke is not a hazard for us.
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):My, my, I'll be needing a swig of wine or better yet, brandy after that! Mistle heads towards wine rack
Simon N. (GM):brb 5 min break
Bryn (Kimberly):Mistle, stay to the back!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Mistle, I can cure your wounds if you want.
Bryn (Kimberly):brb too going for a drink
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):OOC how long are we playing til? Just so I know when to put dinner on?
Yes please, Thibault! I owe you a meal!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Mistle, you have been cured of 3 points.
Simon N. (GM):back - w snacks & wine!
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Thanks Thibault!
Gorlock (Tony):well done
Simon N. (GM):I can do to 9pm?
Bryn (Kimberly):darn, I only got water!
Gorlock (Tony):ok by me
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):I can only play til 8.30 max unfortunately :-(
Simon N. (GM):how did Thibault heal 3 hp?
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Mistle needs to chill after her oily rat encounter lol
Gorlock (Tony):Anyone need healing?
Simon N. (GM):Mistle 6/12 Thibault 11/12
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):GM: Using lay on hands, I have two HP remaining now.
in my pool.
Simon N. (GM):cool thx
Gorlock (Tony):Mistle, healing light
Simon N. (GM):Mistle 9/12
Gorlock (Tony):
rolling 1d6
(
6
)
=
6
Simon N. (GM):12/12 :)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Yay! Thanks G and T!
Bryn (Kimberly):It feels weird to not be healing!
Simon N. (GM):Thibault you staying at 11/12?
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Yes. I prefer to keep my 2 hp in my pool just in case of emergencies.
Simon N. (GM):Vrena moves the wine rack. "This secret door should open easy enough. Ready?"
Gorlock (Tony):shall we proceed
Greeba (Jelena):Yes!
Bryn (Kimberly):Yes, let's
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I grab my shield BTW
Simon N. (GM):It creaks open...
Gorlock (Tony):yikes
noise
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Can I quickly grab a wine bottle off the rack?
Simon N. (GM):A limestone cave tunnel descends
Gorlock (Tony):down we go.
Simon N. (GM):No full bottles, but lots of empty ones
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly)::-(
Gorlock (Tony):sticking to the back
Simon N. (GM):Vrena: "Bats..."
Gorlock (Tony):nice3
Bryn (Kimberly):Rats with wings.
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):Finally, something I can shoot!
Gorlock (Tony):eamon just flew away
he's back
Simon N. (GM):Thibault roll Stealth w disad for heavy armour
Bryn (Kimberly):I grab my shortbow
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
16
 
 
7
Stealth(+3)
Thibault of Brandiar
Simon N. (GM):The path opens onto a tall, cathedral-like room, its
floor white with guano and crawling with beetles.
The bats above stir at your approach...
Gorlock (Tony):lovely another "swarm"
Simon N. (GM):& drop from the ceiling... roll init
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Sorry guys. Noit really discrete, I am...
19
Initiative(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Swarm of Bats
Initiative: 8
Dragonking1million :
13
INITIATIVE (3)
Greeba (Jelena):
9
INITIATIVE (1)
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):
rolling 1d20 +3
(
9
)
+3
=
12
Bryn (Kimberly):
16
INITIATIVE (3)
Gorlock (Tony):
9
INITIATIVE (2)
really
Mistle Thorngage (Jelly):12 for me please Simon. I promise i'll get it sorted for next time!
Gorlock (Tony):I can't roll
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 22
Max:
17
INITIATIVE (2)
Bryn (Kimberly):
13
INITIATIVE (2)
The 13 was for Gorlock from his character sheet
Mine is the 16
Gorlock (Tony):she did 16
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 21
Gorlock (Tony):I did 9
Bryn (Kimberly):I thought Tony said he couldn't roll
Gorlock (Tony):nope
Bryn (Kimberly):oh ok, you can ignore that second one then
Gorlock (Tony):I suck but I can
Bryn (Kimberly):ah, gotcha. you just meant you can't roll well...
Simon N. (GM):#21 Vrena readies a shot
Gorlock (Tony):yep
My int is 8, have to excuse
Simon N. (GM):#19 Thibault
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I'lll wait until the bats come in lngsword reach and I'll swing....
Simon N. (GM):T readies
#17 Xarius
Greeba (Jelena):How high is the cavern ceiling
Max:i use burning hands on bats above me
Simon N. (GM):about 10'
Max:
9Fire
Self (15-foot cone)
Burning Hands
thatSUCKED
Simon N. (GM):ok Xarius hoses the ceiling catching lots of bats
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Great work, Sir!
Simon N. (GM):disad on their DEX saves as still 'prone' on ceiling
Gorlock (Tony):nice
Bryn (Kimberly):yay!
Simon N. (GM):
rolling 2d20
(
2
+
16
)
=
18
4
rolling 2d20
(
15
+
16
)
=
31
17 pass
Gorlock (Tony):light the ceiling on fire!
Simon N. (GM):ok you got 13 of them
Bryn (Kimberly):nice!
Gorlock (Tony):nice
Greeba (Jelena):great!
Gorlock (Tony):wow 5 second delay in sound
Bryn (Kimberly):does he have to roll for the wild magic spell?
Max:spell
Gorlock (Tony):smell:)
Simon N. (GM):yup
Gorlock (Tony):1d20
Simon N. (GM):roll d20
Gorlock (Tony):please no 1
Max:
rolling 1d20
(
11
)
=
11
Gorlock (Tony):phew
Max:\('-')/
Gorlock (Tony):1 is dangerous
Bryn (Kimberly):or good, you never know
Simon N. (GM):#16 Bryn
Gorlock (Tony):could be level 3 fireball centered on self
Bryn (Kimberly):Ok, I will shoot with my short bow
18
80/320
Shortbow (+5)
Simon N. (GM):advtg as prone
Gorlock (Tony):nice
guessing 18 hits
Simon N. (GM):so can sneak att
Bryn (Kimberly):
rolling 1d6+3
(
4
)
+3
=
7
rolling 1d6
(
1
)
=
1
Simon N. (GM):Vrena realises she should shoot too...
Vrena
rolling 2d20
(
2
+
8
)
=
10
AC 12 - hit
rolling 2d6+2
(
2
+
1
)
+2
=
5
Gorlock (Tony):extra dmg for sneak
Simon N. (GM):2 killed
#13 Eamon
Gorlock (Tony):noce
Bryn (Kimberly):why isn't it rolling damage automatically anymore??
Dragonking1million :can i hit them on the celing
Gorlock (Tony):it is a setting
Bryn (Kimberly):she killed 2 or I killed 2?
Gorlock (Tony):go to the cog and select
Greeba (Jelena):settin gnext to the core/bio/spells "automatically roll damage"
Gorlock (Tony):auto dmg roll
Dragonking1million :
rolling 1d20 + 5
(
2
)
+5
=
7
Gorlock (Tony):noooo1
Bryn (Kimberly):Thanks!
Gorlock (Tony):my go/
?

No comments:

Post a comment