Loudwater

Loudwater

Monday, 15 March 2021

FA2 12-14/9/1359 DR Fort Skulnar - Shaggy & the Drakes (175 XP)

Exploring Fort Skulnar - by Kimberly Pauley

 

Arian took a deep breath and let it out, slowly. She wasn’t sure if this was what Jaroo had sent her for, but she finally felt, for the first time, that some progress had been made. They had set out to do something—and they had done it. Well, at least partly. They had come looking for bandits, not orcs, but certainly they had managed to clean out a nest of proverbial vipers. Fort Skulnar would take some serious cleaning before the stink of its previous inhabitants could be washed away.

 

At least the brutish orcs had left behind a decent amount of supplies: barrels of wine & beer (Greeba had already been eying those, as had Wisteria and Gorlock), boxes of salted meats and fish, even bolts of cloth. They hadn’t even finished exploring yet and there might be more to find.

 

“Shall we explore the rest?” asked Arian. “Perhaps…together?” Their luck had, until only very recently, been very bad. It seemed prudent to stick together. She had heard too many tales of adventures gone awry when this simple rule wasn’t followed.

 

“Good idea,” said Greeba, and promptly kicked open the nearest door.

 

A wolf, likely from the same pack that had been used as guards, cowered in the kitchen, head and tail hanging low. The room had seen better days, but they had been long ago. A large soot-stained fireplace dominated one wall. Toppled tables were surrounded by broken crockery and rusted utensils. There was nothing that had been spared the ravages of time or abuse, including the frightened wolf.

 

Arian rushed into the room behind Greeba. There had already been enough death for one day. The half-orc seemed to agree.

 

“Don’t be afraid, good wolfie,” she cooed.

 

As if by common agreement, the berserker and the druid both tossed bits of meat to the wolf at the same time. Arian spoke to him in a low soothing voice, taking care to not move to fast. It would be best if she could get him to trust her. The wolf looked doubtful for a moment but then his hunger took over and he bent his head to the meat.

 

Arian slowly approached, keeping her hands where the wolf could see them. It flattened its ears in a sign of submission, perhaps smelling that she was the Great White Wolf he had seen earlier.

 

She smiled. It was going to be okay. She gently scratched behind his ears, because all wolves itched there. She knew it from experience. “I’ll call you Shaggy,” she said. He licked her hand and then finished gulping down the meat.

 

“Mayhap we shouldn’t kick any more doors down, at least not before I see if I can sense if any more evil is about,” said Thibault from the door.

 

“Very well,” said Greeba.

 

The paladin closed his eyes for a moment, channelling whatever energies he needed to get a sense of what lay around them. “There is no good nor ill within range. Well, that is, except for Tiffany.” He flicked off a bit of imaginary dust. “Ah, the divine sense is useless here if the foes are under total cover.”

 

“Can Tiffany scout ahead for us?” asked Greeba.

 

“Only if someone can open the doors for her first,” said Gorlock. “You’re the only one man enough for that, Greeba.”

 

The half-orc sighed and went on to the next door. It was swollen with rot and damp, but she was able to force it open. It opened into what must have been some type of pantry. Sagging shelves started at waist height and reached almost to the ceiling. Dust, cobwebs, and rotting mouldy food covered the shelves. It had been left for so long that mushrooms were growing along the floor.

 

Arian took a peek, letting in a bit of light. The mushrooms looked to be the only salvageable foodstuff in the room. A sudden scurrying and a flash of whiskers – “Shaggy! Do you like rats?”

 

Needing no more encouragement or perhaps because he was still hungry, the wolf charged into the room to attack the giant rat. He pinned it to the floor, but not before it managed to get in a bite of its own and draw blood. Thibault rushed in and finished off the filthy rat with a good blow.

 

“It’s just a rat. Calm down,” said Eamon.

 

“Good boy, Shaggy.” Arian gave the wolf a pat and another morsel of dried rabbit jerky. Even though he had been wounded, it had been a good training opportunity.

 

“I don’t like rats!” said Greeba, thinking back to earlier days when the rats had nearly proved too much for them.

 

They moved on to the next door. Inside was more debris—smashed and broken barrels and the remains of some unfortunate soul.

 

“Shaggy, we shall cleanse this place. If you see any more foul creatures like that rat, let me know.” She gave him another pat. “There are treats galore in it for you.”

 

Thibault examined the skeleton. Man-sized, it lay on what remained of its mouldering leather armour. The skull was half-shattered.

 

Arian looked over his shoulder at the sad scene. “We should bury them properly before we leave.”

 

Wisteria took a peek over her shoulder. The man had long been dead. She couldn’t sense any lingering spirit. Or, if there was one, it was being quiet.

 

“Did you hear that?” asked Greeba, motioning to the door to the west. “Scampering? What could it be? More rats?”

 

“Several, by the sound of it,” said Arian, cocking her head to listen.

 

“Shall we go for it, Greeba?” asked Thibault.

 

“Surely,” she said, tigheting her grip on her Warhammer.

 

“Shaggy, with me,” said Arian. “You’re wounded already.” It would do them no good to lose a new friend so quickly.

 

Greeba and Thibault burst through the door and into the room together. The small chamber was mostly empty, save for two sagging and rotting beds against one wall. A pile of rotting debris had been piled up and around them, as if someone had just shoved everything there to get it out of the way. A glint or two from the rotting mess held hints that something worthwhile might be hidden inside. Beady eyes glinted back at them. An entire mischief of rats.

 

Everyone else rushed forward as well, including Elia. “Touch of the Grave!” she thundered, the words coming out beyond all proportion what one would expect from such a slight girl. A ghostly skeletal hand appeared and lunged for one of the rats, but missed. Arian cast infestation on the same one, but it dodged. Lucky rat!

 

She moved out of the way so someone else could have a try. Xarius swept up, his cape flying, and fingertips flaming with a firebolt. Swish-zow! The rat exploded. Bits of toasted rat splattered Greeba and Thibault.

 

Rather than scaring the rest of the rats away, the death of one seemed to anger them. Three rats leapt for the paladin at the same time and managed to inflict some damage even though his armour.

 

Gorlock cast Sacred Flame, causing one of the rats to squeal in pain.

 

Wisteria took one look at Thibault, covered in scratches, and cast Cure Wounds upon him. The paladin smiled, feeling as good as new. “Thank you, Dame Wisteria!”

 

She laughed. “No worries! You owe me a carafe when we’re next at a pub!”

 

“With pleasure!” he said, skewering a rat. Eamon joined him, punching at one of the giant rats, his fists pummelling its side. Arian joined in a Frostbite cantrip, hoping this time she would hit her mark. The rat squeaked, its fur suddenly white with frost.

 

Realising it was the last one standing, the rat turned and scurried through a narrow rathole in the wall.

 

“Scaredy-rat!” Arian called after it. No matter, they would get it sooner or later, and then she’d turn it all into rat jerky for Shaggy.

 

Meanwhile, Sirondar had wandered off on his own. “There’s some stairs and soot over here, hm,” he called.

 

“And possibly some shiny things in all this muck,” said Thibault, using his heel to dig into the rotting mess.

 

“Ah, let me see,” said Elia, digging around and not even minding the smell of the rat’s warren. She pulled out a black velvet pouch, jingling with a bit of coin.

 

“There’s another door over here, too,” said Arian, opening it to reveal a narrow room full of dusty but empty weapon racks. The only thing on them were layers and layers of cobwebs and dozens upon dozens of small spiders. She didn’t recognise them, but she didn’t like the look of them either. “Spiders...lots of them. Mayhap we should leave this room for a good cleaning later.” She shut the door again.

 

Greeba had gone on to another room. This one had been a bed chamber, the only light coming from a high slit window. An open copper birdcage lay upon the floor. Bent, but still salvageable.

 

So many rooms! “Perhaps we should see if we can officially take over this place - it has good bones and many possibilities,” said Arian. They had discussed it a little earlier; there were many political implications but it would be nice to have a place to call home.

 

She went on to the next door and opened it to more brokenness. Ruined chairs, a table missing a leg, the remains of a bed frame, scraps of cloth. “The orcs certainly didn't do any housekeeping.” If they did stay, it was going to take a lot of work. She poked around, pleasantly surprised when she uncovered a worn quiver holding four masterwork arrows fletched with pure black feathers. Maybe it was good that the orcs hadn’t bothered cleaning up.

 

Shaggy, following behind, growled at one of the unopened doors. Once opened, a rat charged forward but didn’t make it far. Gorlock caught it with an eldritch blast and it exploded. Another rat burrowed deeper into the debris and disappeared.

 

Another room full of rotting furniture and smelly bedrolls. Perhaps where the pig orcs had slept. It certainly smelt of them. They turned to go when Arian spotted a suspiciously loose flagstone. Underneath was a small mouldy pouch containing some coin. Not a massive treasure, but every bit helped.

 

Sirondar cleared his throat. “Er…still…there’s a small door here as well…”

 

“What, is it for dwarves?” asked Greeba.

 

“Or wolves?” asked Arian.

 

“And the stairs here go down a long way…hmmm.”

 

Greeba joined Sirondar and looked at the wee door. It was big enough to go through, just a bit narrow. She shoved at it. It juddered but then gave way to a small room. Inside, a strange reptile-thing hissed at them.

 

“Oho!” said Greeba. “Hello tweety!”

 

Arian joined her, slipping through the narrow door into the now crowded room. It was a drakeling, probably a cave dwelling one – still small, just a baby. She made some clicking noises in the back of her throat and it calmed down.

 

Greeba offered it a drumstick from one of her many pockets, making Arian wonder exactly how much food she had hidden about her person. Perhaps the stories she had heard about orcish appetites were true. She was definitely learning a lot from her companions.

 

“It’s a wee little baby!” Arian called out to the others still outside the room.

 

“Hm, where’s mama then,” asked Gorlock, peeking in the door.

 

 Arian noticed a smashed vase with a bit of cloth tucked inside it. She used the end of her staff to poke at it. A gemmed dagger of black steel rolled out of the mouldy cloth. It glimmered darkly.

 

“Ooh, I’ve found something,” she said, holding it up. “But I’m not sure if I should touch it. It’s pretty, but in a dark and terrifying way.”

 

Greeba’s eyes gleamed, seeming to reflect the dark shimmer of the dagger. Dark green malachites decorated the hilt of the slim straight blade.

 

“Maybe Wisteria can tell us?” asked the half-orc. Something about it seemed holy…or perhaps unholy. “Or Thibault?”

 

While they came forward to inspect it, Arian took out a waterskin and a bowl and filled it for the drakeling. It seemed thirsty and hungry. The drumstick Greeba had given it was already gone.

 

Thibault’s eyes lit up when he saw the dagger. “Ah,” he said, “ I have seen such things in books! It’s a cold enchanted dagger made to kill the demons of Narfell.”

 

“Yes, and it is pretty for sure,” agreed Wisteria. “And tempting!”

 

“And yours, then,” said Thibault, picking it up and handing it to her. “It looks like something you could put to good use.”

 

Just then, Tiffany returned. Gorlock had sent her off to search any places she could get to without having to open doors. “Hi Gorlock! I searched the tower - no monsters, just blood and some supplies upstairs.”

 

“Blood?” asked Wisteria.

 

“A blood smear across the ground yes. And it smelt of wolf!”

 

“Hm, good job, Tiff. Can you fly down these stairs next?”

 

“You want me to fly down those stairs?” The sprite sounded a little doubtful, but dutifully went down, only to return just a few moments later. “I couldn't see anything! It's too dark!” Her sparkly skin flushed. “Sorry!”

 

“I can see well in such dark places,” said Greeba. “I’ll go. So long as it isn’t a magical darkness you’re talking of.”

 

“It’s just really dark! I could hear running water…”

 

Sirondar looked concerned. “I shall stay upstairs then? I cannot see in the dark, friends.”

 

“Shaggy can stay with you.” Arian bent down to the wolf and gave him a scratch under the chin. “Shaggy, can you stay here unless I whistle?” Surprisingly, it seemed the orcs had at least done some rudimentary training. The wolf sat in obvious obeyance of the command.

 

Eamon pulled out some goggles he had been given at the monastery and put them on. They made his eyes appear huge. “I’m ready,” he said.

 

They descended the steps, leaving Sirondar and Tiffany near the stairs where there was some dim light.

 

“This feels quite large,” Arian whispered.

 

A lone fire beetle lit up a small area. There were mushrooms and fungus growing all around. As Tiffany had said, there was the sound or running water to the east.

 

They crept forwards, listening for any other sounds. Arian found herself next to Elia. “Elia, did you hear them talk of this place at all?”

 

“Hm…yeah…”

 

“And what did you hear?”

 

“Velzz said there was an escape route down here if anyone stormed the fort. And he'd take me with him if that happened…”

 

Arian wondered again at what relationship exactly Elia had had with the half-orc and how she had come to be his captive.

 

“…and feed me to the giant bats.”

 

“He…wasn't very…nice. Sometime, you will have to tell us how you wound up with him.”

 

“Sometime…” Elia said quietly.

 

They had reached some water. A waterfall sounded close by. It looked to be three feet deep by the edge. Thibault saw the flicker of white cave fish as they swam by.

 

Across the other side of the rushing water was the flicker of another cave beetle. A small rocky outcropping was in the middle of the stream. It looked just big enough for two to stand upon; three if they were very close and everyone had brushed their teeth.

 

Thibault pulled out a rope and handed an end to Greeba. He carefully crossed through the water to the middle. The water, at its deepest point, came up to his shoulders. Greeba passed the rope to Eamon and joined Thibault. They repeated the process again, with Thibault carefully passing all the way across.

 

As soon as he had reached the other shore, a large drake suddenly rushed out of the darkness at him and leapt upon Thibault with razor sharp fangs and claws. It had the same colouring as the baby drakeling they had discovered earlier.

 

“Sirondar!” yelled Arian as loudly as she could, “bring the baby down -- RIGHT NOW!” There was no vengeance like a mother separated from her cub. She cast Healing Word on Thibault, who looked shaken from the attack, as well he might.

 

“You have a strong voice, Arian! Impressive for an elf!” said Greeba.

 

Knowing it was probably useless, but hopeful just the same, Arian addressed the drake. “Please calm down, mother, we found your baby.”

 

Gorlock directed Tiffany to lend Thibault some help as well, and the paladin’s wounds closed up as the sprite touched him.

 

“Thank you, lovely celestial!” he said, always the gentleman, even when his life was in danger.

 

“It was Gorlock, really!” smiled Tiffany.

 

Eamon pulled out his longbow and readied it, not wanting to attack a mother who was probably looking for her lost child, but willing to do so if needs must. Xarius did the same, readying his magic missile spell, but holding them in so that the glowy missiles simply swirled above his raised palm, ready to be released.

 

Meanwhile, Sirondar had rushed up the steps as soon as he heard Arian yell. He managed to grab the drakeling and bring it down the stairs with him—but he was still across the cavern. He had also grabbed a lit torch, the flames illuminating a round bubble of light around him. “We're coming! It's bloody dark down here!” yelled the knight, hoping they could hear him.

 

“We can guide Sirondar,” said Elia, and sprinted back the way they had come.

 

“Baby drakeling, if you can hear me, come say hello to your mum!" Arian tried to keep her voice steady and non-threatening. She was loathe to kill a creature that was likely looking for its young, but she would attack if she had to.

 

“Get ready to retreat quickly in case it turns sour with the Drake,” said Thibault.

 

And sour it did seem. The drake plunged into the water after the paladin and lunged at him.

 

“Hold on, Thib!” cried Greeba.

 

He nodded grimly and cast some healing upon himself. He was determined to stand fast so that the drake could not reach his companions.

 

“Run, Sirondar, run!!” shouted Arian. Would they be able to convince the drake? Could they reason with it? Or was it just a dumb beast who would attack them no matter what? She racked her brain for anything she could recall of the creatures and tried to pull some meaning from its frenzied lunges. She could not detect even the glimmer of understanding from its eyes. It had seen them holding back, but still it attacked. There was nothing for it. Maybe it would stop when Sirondar appeared with the drakeling, but maybe it wouldn’t. But would Thibault be able to hold out that long?

 

With a sigh of resignation, Arian cast Moonbeam upon the creature. Shining moonlight beamed down upon its dull scales like ghostly flames, lighting them up like gemstones. If it stayed put, it would feel their burn.

 

Eamon, having come to the same realisation, shot at the drake. His arrow struck true, followed soon thereafter by four magic missiles from Xarius. The flames of the moonbeam spell burned the drake’s skin and dazzled its eyes, unused to any light. It shook its head and drew back, splashing out of the water and back into the darkness.

 

Sirondar came running up, the baby drakeling following after him happily. It seemed at home in the caves.

 

“I brought the baby! So, what now?” asked Sirondar, huffing from his exertion.

 

The warlock was in a foul mood. “We could gut it and leave the entrails.”

 

They all turned to him, aghast.

 

“Or I could gut you with my new dagger and leave entrails for the baby drake to eat,” said Wisteria.

 

“I am sure Gorlock was joking,” said Thibault.

 

“One would hope,” said Greeba, trying to pet the baby. It snapped at her good naturedly. They all stared at it. It did look at home and happier than it had appeared aboveground.

 

“Maybe we should leave it here for the mother to find?”

 

“I’ll try taking it closer to the shore and get it to call for its mother. Perhaps…you should all move away. Just in case.” Arian convinced the drakeling to go with her and prodded it gently until it made a shrill trilling sound like a baby bird. A very large baby bird. There was an answering, but much louder, trill from the other side of the water, where the darkness was deepest.

 

The drakeling plunged into the water and swam across.

 

“Tell your mummy that we fed you!” called Arian after it, knowing it wouldn’t understand but hopeful that it would, at least, remember their kindness. They caught a glimpse of it – and three others the same size! – reuniting with his mother before they all disappeared further into the caves.

 

“Hmmmm,” said Thibault, “We need to barricade the cellar door so that none of these little bundles of joy comes back again to the Fort.”

 

Meanwhile, Gorlock, unwilling to be surprised by anything else the caves might hold, sent Tiffany on a scouting mission. She returned with news, none of it particularly good. Giants bats up the river cave, and giant apes of some kind as well, who seemed to be guarding something. And a mess of old goblin bones at an abandoned camp.

 

Nearer where the stairs were, they also found a pair of winged statues, possibly Damaran, likely from when the Fort was first built. Gorlock stopped in surprise when he saw them. One of them looked very like his pact Mistress.

 

“I do have a feeling we may have stumbled upon the site of an ancient temple,” said Wisteria.

 

“And we need a long rest before we do any more exploring,” said Greeba.

 

“Shall we just block off the stairs for now?”

 

They all agreed upon the plan as the most prudent course of action. They were tired. They all needed a rest and there was already much to busy themselves with just cleaning out the spaces they had already uncovered above ground.  


But, of course, nothing ever quite goes to plan.



Simon N. (GM):GM: While you are resting, you have time to search the rest of the upstairs. You find only some soggy ruined parchment in the NW room along with orc bedding. The SW room was avoided by the orcs, it appears to have once been a child's bedroom.
Jelly:I'll use a hit die
Arian (Kimberly):If we stay to clean things up, we're going to be burning that orc bedding...
Jelly:
rolling 1d8
(
3
)
=
3
Arian (Kimberly):What's in the former child's room? Didn't you say this was abandoned like 40 years ago?
Greeba (Jelena):Any indication who the child was?
Simon N. (GM):Wisteria senses that until recently there was an unquiet spirit in the child's room, but it has now been laid to rest (OOC by brave adventurers) :)
Gorlock (Tony):Thib, least I can do for my shield from the Ogre and Orcs
Simon N. (GM):Wisteria can roll History
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil)::-) My pleasure!
Gorlock (Tony):We've lost Jelly?
Simon N. (GM)::(
Jelly:No I'm here!
Simon N. (GM)::)
Gorlock (Tony):roll History
Jelly:
rolling 1d20+4
(
7
)
+4
=
11
Simon N. (GM):GM: 40 years ago this keep was ruled by Valentin Ironwolf. Its said his wife & young son died too when it fell to the Orcs.
Gorlock (Tony):poor things
Arian (Kimberly):Bad orcs
Max:'your connection to the server has been interrupted'
Arian (Kimberly):Obviously not a Greeba-ish orc
OOC Max, mine was doing that too, give it a few
Greeba (Jelena):As a Half-orc I am Completely different from an Ocr, obv.
Simon N. (GM):After your short rest you descend to the great hall (where your tokens are) - the raiders have accumulated a lot of supplies here, barrels of wine & beer, boxes of salted meats and fish, bolts of cloth.
Arian (Kimberly):Definitely
Excellent
Greeba (Jelena):Mmm, feast!
Gorlock (Tony):mmm wine
Simon N. (GM):Lots of dust and cobwebs too, and debris.
Greeba (Jelena):But there are more places to explore?
Arian (Kimberly):Can we explore the rest of the fort?
Simon N. (GM):yup
Gorlock (Tony):Fill a flagon for later/
Simon N. (GM):May still be danger, so will do it standard exploration type play mode
Arian (Kimberly):I vote for going all together
Greeba (Jelena):Good idea Arian
Arian (Kimberly):Is that a door to the West?
Simon N. (GM):Move your tokens up to your speed then pause for me to post, then you can move again etc...
Gorlock (Tony):Tiff, we going to look around, can you scout ahead, maybe invisible just in case
Arian (Kimberly):Can Thib do his detecting thing too?
Simon N. (GM):Greeba kicks in the door
The wolf cowers fearfully in the ruined kitchen
Gorlock (Tony):feed it
Arian (Kimberly):Arian will follow right after and make peaceful gestures to the wolf
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Oh poor tweety!
Greeba (Jelena):"don't be afraid, good wolfie
Simon N. (GM):This area was obviously once a kitchen. A large soot‐stained
fireplace dominates one wall. Toppled tables surrounded by
shattered crockery and rusting utensils lie about the room.
Arian (Kimberly):I will toss it a bit of meat
Greeba (Jelena):throwing a drumstick to the wolf
Simon N. (GM):OK if you have Animal Handling prof can roll it
Arian (Kimberly):
20
ANIMAL HANDLING (4)
I do!
Greeba (Jelena):well done! I don't, so I won't
Arian (Kimberly):I ain't got no charisma, but I like animals
Simon N. (GM):The wolf eats hungrily.
Arian (Kimberly):And I was raised with wolves
Gorlock (Tony):I ain't got brains, but got charisma#
Arian (Kimberly):Seriously, it's on my character sheet.
Gorlock (Tony):sweet
Simon N. (GM):It flattens its ears to Arian in a sign of submission, smelling that she is the Great White Wolf. :)
Greeba (Jelena):anything interesting in the cupboards?
Arian (Kimberly):I carefully approach the wolf in an authoritative but not threatening manner
Simon N. (GM):broken pottery and rusting utensils
Arian (Kimberly):And scratch it behind it's ears, because all wolves itch there
Greeba (Jelena):More doors to the west?
Simon N. (GM):yup
Greeba (Jelena):I'll not kick it this time
Arian (Kimberly):Can I call him Shaggy?
Simon N. (GM):The wolf licks Arian's hand.
Greeba (Jelena):just in case
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I'd like to do my detect evil please before, Greeba.
Simon N. (GM):>>Can I call him Shaggy?<< at your discretion :)
Greeba (Jelena):Be my guest, paladin
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Divine sense , Simon please
Eamon (Bill):should we then call arian scoby
scooby
Gorlock (Tony):doggy boombastic
Arian (Kimberly):"Good boy (it is a boy, right?)"
Can't I be Velma?
Simon N. (GM):boy yup
Wisteria of Skullspire:And I'll be Scrappy1
Simon N. (GM):GM: Thibault detects no Evil within range. He does detect 1 Celestial :)
Eamon (Bill):but no one likes the actual scrappy
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Ah the divine sense is useless here if the foes are under total cover...
Simon N. (GM):Torgin wanders to the door
Greeba (Jelena):Can Tiffany scout the rooms before us?
Gorlock (Tony):as he would
Simon N. (GM):No she can't get through the closed doors
Gorlock (Tony):need to open the door first
Greeba (Jelena):are they locked or just closed?
Gorlock (Tony):Since Greeba's the only real man in the party
Simon N. (GM):Are you trying the door Greeba?
Greeba (Jelena):I'll try the handle
yes
Simon N. (GM):it's stiff, swollen w rot, but you can force it open.
Greeba (Jelena):OK, at it
Simon N. (GM):it pushes inwards...
Sagging shelves starting at waist height and reaching almost to
the ceiling line this chamber’s walls. Dust, cobwebs and rotting
food cover the shelves. Patches of green and brown mould as
well as small stands of mushrooms cover the floor.
rolling 2d6
(
5
+
4
)
=
9
Greeba (Jelena):Mushrooms! If I were a hobbit I'd be happy
Arian (Kimberly):I should like to collect mushrooms later
Simon N. (GM):An enormous rat scurries away as the light falls on it.
Gorlock (Tony):I hate rats
Arian (Kimberly):"Shaggy! Do you like rats?"
Gorlock (Tony):and bats
Greeba (Jelena):What is this, Cumin Inn basement?
Gorlock (Tony):all over again
Simon N. (GM):Shaggy charges in after the rat...
Initiative
Giant Rat
Initiative: 18
Initiative
Wolf
Initiative: 16
Gorlock (Tony):he'll never catch it
Eamon (Bill):pokemon
Simon N. (GM):
Giant Rat
Attack: 23 | 15
Arian (Kimberly):oh no poor Shaggy!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):OUCH
Gorlock (Tony):yelp
Arian (Kimberly):yip yip
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d4+2
(
3
)
+2
=
5
Wisteria of Skullspire:Yikes!!
Puppy Power!!
Simon N. (GM):
Bite
Wolf
Attack:14 | 13
Damage: 6 piercing
If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone
Strength
Giant Rat
Ability: 3 | 17
Arian (Kimberly):Can I follow in after Shaggy? I'm not gonna let him go it alone
Simon N. (GM):THe rat bites Shaggy then goes down, still struggling with his jaws on its throat.
Eamon (Bill):knock was super affective"
Simon N. (GM):yup you can go now Arian Greeba Thibault
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I'd like to go there and attck the rat
Simon N. (GM):sure
Gorlock (Tony):Lord Iron...in a rat's body
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
19
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Greeba (Jelena):Swinging my war hammer
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
8

Longsword: damage
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Simon N. (GM):hit
Arian (Kimberly):pets Shaggy, gives another tidbit
Eamon (Bill):"it's just a rat calm down"
Simon N. (GM):The mighty rat falls before the horde.
Arian (Kimberly):such a change from our first rat encounter...
Greeba (Jelena):"I don't like rats... any more!"
Gorlock (Tony):poor rat
Simon N. (GM):Arian you can roll nature re the mushrooms etc
Greeba (Jelena):Any other doors in this pantry?
Simon N. (GM):no
Arian (Kimberly):
12
NATURE (3)
Simon N. (GM):They are harmless and somewhat edible, bit bland - good w Mulani spices :)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Can I try to open the next door?
Arian (Kimberly):Ok, will collect them when there's time after exploring then
Simon N. (GM):It creaks open...
Smashed and broken barrels lie about the floor. Amid the
shattered wood lie the skeletal remains of at least one
humanoid.
Arian (Kimberly):"Shaggy, we shall cleanse this place. If you see any more foul creatures like that rat, let me know."
"There are treats galore in it for you."
Simon N. (GM):Shaggy wines, licking his bite wound.
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I get in the room carefully.
Simon N. (GM):Looks like an old Buttery
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Does th esekleton has any clothes that could help identification?
Arian (Kimberly):Is Shaggy badly wounded or just a scratch?
Greeba (Jelena):Any old cheese around? They're the best!
Simon N. (GM):The skeleton of a man‐sized humanoid lies on the
floor surrounded by mouldering equipment. The remains are human, the unfortunate died of
a heavy blow to the head. The skeleton still wears rotting leather
armour, but its weapon is missing.
Shaggy is on 6/11, a nasty bite.
Arian (Kimberly):Arian, somberly: "We should bury them properly before we leave"
Wisteria of Skullspire:May I do a Religion check to see if the spirit of the skeleton is restless?
Simon N. (GM):No cheeses
ok Wisteria
Wisteria of Skullspire:
rolling 1d20+4
(
2
)
+4
=
6
Hmmmm
Simon N. (GM):Not feeling anything
Greeba (Jelena):Never mind, more interested in treasure than dairy at the moment!
Arian (Kimberly):leaves hand on Shaggy's neck to make sure he doesn't go darting off
Simon N. (GM):Greeba you think you hear scampering beyond the west door
Gorlock (Tony):OOC-Marley's after Shaggy's attacker
woof woof
Greeba (Jelena):"Scampering? What cold it be? More rats?
Arian (Kimberly):whistles for Shaggy
Simon N. (GM):OOC Shaggy token now under your control Kim
Arian (Kimberly):Aw, Shaggy
Simon N. (GM):scamper scamper
Arian (Kimberly):Can I do a nature check?
Simon N. (GM):Shaggy growls
ok
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Let's go for it greeba?
Arian (Kimberly):
21
NATURE (3)
Simon N. (GM):Sounds like several giant rats
Arian (Kimberly):I am familiar with all types of scampers
"More rats, I think"
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I move in th eroom if I can
Greeba (Jelena):Sure" gripping war hammer handle firmly
Arian (Kimberly):"Shaggy, with me. You're wounded."
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC Eeep lol
Simon N. (GM):Greeba & Thibault burst into the chamber... roll init pls
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
6
Initiative(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Arian (Kimberly):
17
INITIATIVE (2)
Greeba (Jelena):
16
INITIATIVE (1)
Wisteria of Skullspire:
10
INITIATIVE (1)
Simon N. (GM):This small chamber is mostly empty. Two sagging and rotting
beds stand against one wall. A pile of rotting wood and other
detritus has been piled up on and under the beds.
There are some coins etc among the detritus
Initiative
Giant Rat
Initiative: 11
Gorlock (Tony):
20
INITIATIVE (2)
Arian (Kimberly):Max is having trouble connecting
I can roll for him
Gorlock (Tony):
22
INITIATIVE (2)
Arian (Kimberly):
13
INITIATIVE (2)
Gorlock (Tony):I can't select my token
Arian (Kimberly):That second one was Xarius
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 6
Arian (Kimberly):oh! I think it worked
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 17
Eamon (Bill):
23
INITIATIVE (3)
Arian (Kimberly):I did it from his character sheet
Simon N. (GM):ok #Eamon
Eamon (Bill):i move up
Gorlock (Tony):
17
INITIATIVE (2)
Eamon (Bill):i'll ready an attack
end turn
Arian (Kimberly):Is the door to the right of Thib?
it's hard to tell
Simon N. (GM):yup
(this map was from last August - early effort of mine!)
Arian (Kimberly):oooh did you make it yourself??
Gorlock (Tony)::)
nice
Elia :"Touch of THE GRAVE!!"
Greeba (Jelena):OOC cool, Simon!
Arian (Kimberly):OOC She's extreme!
Elia :
8
 
 
25
120 ft
Chill Touch (+5)
1 + 6Necrotic
Gorlock (Tony):big nope
Elia :Rat AC 12, the ghostly skeletal hand lunges for one but misses.
"oops"
#Arian
Wisteria of Skullspire:(Wisteria looks a bit jealous that she hasn't learned that trick yet!)
Elia :(& Shagy)
Arian (Kimberly):ok, from the door,
Eamon (Bill):ooc it's a cantrip so if you wanted to you could learn it
Arian (Kimberly):
DC12
No damage, no movement
Constitution Save
2Poison
30 feet
Infestation
on the rat in front of Thib
Simon N. (GM):
Constitution
Giant Rat
Ability: 16 | 16
Arian (Kimberly):sigh. Hardy rat.
Simon N. (GM):The rats shrug off your fell sorcery
"SQUEAK!"
moving away or end turn?
Arian (Kimberly):yep, I move away
to give someone else room
Simon N. (GM):#Greeba
Greeba (Jelena):
9
Warhammer (One-Handed) (+5)
2Rage
4Bludgeoning
oops
Simon N. (GM):miss
Greeba (Jelena):and no rage, sorry
Simon N. (GM):ok
suggest you set up separate rage & no rage hammer attacks & remove the universal mod
Greeba (Jelena):end turn
Simon N. (GM):#Xarius
Greeba (Jelena):OOC yes, sorry, I forgot to untick
Arian (Kimberly):ok, talking with Max, he's coming to me, his is still not loading
Gorlock (Tony):Max needs Kims help, no connection
Giant Rat:"SQUEAK!" trans: "Come on boys! We can take 'em!"
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):
12
120 feet
Fire Bolt (+5)
10Fire
Giant Rat:The rat explodes
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):yay
then he moves back
Giant Rat:bits of rat splatter Greeba & Thibault
Arian (Kimberly):haha toasty rat bits
Giant Rat:3 rats attack Thibault w advtg
Gorlock (Tony):yum, rat innards
Giant Rat:
rolling 6d20
(
1
+
7
+
8
+
18
+
20
+
2
)
=
56
Wisteria of Skullspire::-(
Arian (Kimberly):Max is gonna try reloading again, but I've got his sheet handy if need be
Gorlock (Tony):I didn't get a go
Giant Rat:11, 22 & crit
Greeba (Jelena):2 hits then
Giant Rat:you can have a go when it gets to your 17 Tony
Gorlock (Tony):ok
Giant Rat:
rolling 3d4+4
(
1
+
1
+
4
)
+4
=
10
(rats sheet refused to load, bit stressed sorry)
Gorlock (Tony):
Sacred Flame
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60ft
Components: V, S, M
Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

The spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8)
SPELL SAVE DC: 13
sorry
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):No worries Simon.
Arian (Kimberly):no worries at all
Giant Rat:ok Gorlock you can go
Thibault was bit for 10
rat dex save
rolling d20+2
(
13
)
+2
=
15
Gorlock (Tony):
24
120
Eldritch Blast (+5)
7force
Giant Rat:ok you shoot it
#Wisteria
Wisteria of Skullspire:Thib how much HP are you on, it's obscured?
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I am 18/28
Wisteria of Skullspire:Ok I'll move up and cast Cure Wounds
FOR DESCRIPTION ONLY
Cure Wounds
Evocation 1
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: A creature you touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
At Higher LevelsWhen you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the Healing increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.
SPELL SAVE DC: 12
Giant Rat:ok roll hp
Wisteria of Skullspire:Second level so 2d8
rolling 2d8+2
(
5
+
3
)
+2
=
10
Up to full HP Thib!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Perfect! Back to max!
Thanks a lot Dame Wisteria!
Wisteria of Skullspire:You owe me a carafe once we're back at the Cumin ;-)
Simon N. (GM):#Thibault
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):With pleasure!
I hit the one south of me.
20
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
12

Longsword: damage
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Eamon (Bill):i move in
i attack the rat
bonus action punch
8
5 ft.
end turn
Simon N. (GM):#Arian
Arian (Kimberly):hm, can I see the one rat byGreeba?
through the door?
Simon N. (GM):yup
Arian (Kimberly):
DC12
No damage
Constitution Save
5Cold
60 feet
Frostbite
Greeba (Jelena):"Spell the rat!"
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d20
(
8
)
=
8
the rat turns white w frost
Arian (Kimberly):ok, and it has disadvantage
Simon N. (GM):#Greeba
Greeba (Jelena):
7
Warhammer (One-Handed) (+5)
7Bludgeoning
Simon N. (GM):miss
Greeba (Jelena):Should have stomped on him! End turn
Simon N. (GM):#Xarius
Arian (Kimberly):Greeba is grossed out by the rats
I think he can see the rat from there
Simon N. (GM):doesn't look good
doorframe in way
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):how about from there?
Simon N. (GM):you can glimpse it
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):ok, he'll try firebolt
Simon N. (GM):it has 3/4 cover so +5 AC
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):Tony says to try from here
12
120 feet
Fire Bolt (+5)
7Fire
Simon N. (GM):same
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):ok
Simon N. (GM):miss
Xarius Jaunesse (Max):all done then
Simon N. (GM):The rat disengages and scurries into a narrow rathole in the wall.
Arian (Kimberly):Scaredy rat
Wisteria of Skullspire:Lol
Simon N. (GM):You have won!!!
(I
Arian (Kimberly):haha
Gorlock (Tony):really,
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC yay!! BRB, just grabbing a drink.
Simon N. (GM):(don't worry I'll give you full 25 xp for her)
Gorlock (Tony):rats blood
more doors
Sirondar Altur Banacath:"stairs and soot over here, hm"
Gorlock (Tony):hmmm
he's squishy
Greeba (Jelena):"Yes, let's check it out!
Sirondar Altur Banacath:There are coins & stuff in the rat debris
Simon N. (GM):brb drink run
Arian (Kimberly):Eamon or Thib want to grab the stuff in the debris?
Since you're in there?
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Yes please
I get the coins and the stuff and examine it.
Arian (Kimberly):There's a door by me too, looks like
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC sorry I'm not on the voice chat today guys, feeling a bit tired/dizzy so just focusing on text for now!
Arian (Kimberly):No worries, Jelly! hugs!
Simon N. (GM):A R EA F E A TU R E S
The area has several noteworthy features:
Illumination: Dim light.
Dilapidated Beds: Two beds stand against one wall. Both are
sagging and rotten; they collapse if any creature of Small or
larger size stands on them.
Simon N. (GM):Rat Warren: The rats have created an extensive warren in
and under the room’s two beds.
Gorlock (Tony):hmmm
Greeba (Jelena):Any shinies?
Simon N. (GM):YOu can roll Perception if searching
see how much loot you can find :)
Gorlock (Tony):
10
PERCEPTION (1)
Simon N. (GM):definitely some copper coins
Gorlock (Tony):oops
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
3
Perception(+2)
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Simon N. (GM):15 cp
Arian (Kimberly):haha
Wisteria of Skullspire:It smells like home to Wisteria :-)
Simon N. (GM):
15
 
 
5
PERCEPTION (2)
Elia finds a 12 sp and a soft, black velvet pouch. The pouch needs a good
wash, but is worth 10 gp
Greeba (Jelena):No wonder the Paladin can't find anything, sandwiched between 2 cute girls
Wisteria of Skullspire:lol
Simon N. (GM)::)
Arian (Kimberly):Is Elia sharing this with us?
Or is she pocketing it?
Greeba (Jelena):OOC she wouldn't report it otherwise?
Arian (Kimberly):OOC Oh, actually she told us where all that treasure was before - did she take any of that?
Elia :"Happy to share, guys!"
no she didn't take a share of the bandit chief's loot
Anyone else searching?
Arian (Kimberly):OOC of course, we did free her, so that's gotta count for something
Greeba (Jelena):OOC we still have gems to spare...
Arian (Kimberly):
15
PERCEPTION (4)
Greeba (Jelena):Which door are we going next, S or upstairs?
Elia :Arian spots the pouch as Elia grabs it :)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Let's try to do the south ones just in case....
Arian (Kimberly):I'd say let's clear one floor at a time
"There's another door here!"
Elia :Dusty, cobweb‐shrouded weapon racks line this chamber’s walls.
Arian (Kimberly):"Shaggy, if you hear anything suspicious or any other rats, please alert me."
Simon N. (GM):Arian you see lots of small spiders (can roll nature)
Greeba (Jelena):"And here" to the E
Arian (Kimberly):
7
NATURE (3)
Wisteria of Skullspire:Hmmm, anything decent on the weapons rack?
Arian (Kimberly):apparently, I don't like spider
Simon N. (GM):nope empty, looted
Wisteria of Skullspire::-(
Greeba (Jelena):Is it some kind of trap?
Simon N. (GM):Greeba you see an old bed chamber strewn w debris, light from a high slit window
Arian (Kimberly):"Spiders...lots of them. Mayhap we should leave this room for a good cleaning later."
Greeba (Jelena):Birdcage?
Simon N. (GM):yup
copper, looks like
Arian (Kimberly):In good nick?
Greeba (Jelena):Worth anything? Any remains inside?
Simon N. (GM):bit bent but copper does not rust, Greeba could get it looking good
no, but there's a gap big enough for a bird to be extracted or crawl out - who knows?
Arian (Kimberly):"Perhaps we should see if we can officially take over this place - it has good bones and many possibilities."
Simon N. (GM):Arian you open door to east?
Arian (Kimberly):oh, why not
famous last words
Simon N. (GM):More debris - ruined chair, bits of cloth, table, bed frame
Arian (Kimberly):"The orcs certainly didn't do any housekeeping."
Simon N. (GM):Shaggy growls at the east door
Greeba (Jelena):Oh, should I have searched (rolled) in the previous room?
Arian (Kimberly):Can I search the debris?
Simon N. (GM):You can search if you like. move to room you are searching and roll perception
Arian (Kimberly):
14
PERCEPTION (4)
Greeba (Jelena):
3
PERCEPTION (0)
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d20
(
18
)
=
18
Greeba (Jelena):Well, I found the birdcage!
Gorlock (Tony):look rocks
Simon N. (GM):GM: UNder the bedframe Arian finds finds a worn quiver holding four masterwork arrows
fletched with pure black feathers
Arian (Kimberly):oooh nice
Simon N. (GM):(+1 arrows, 1 use each)
Greeba (Jelena):Trying the door to the W
Gorlock (Tony):sweet
trying one to the east
torgin's alive
rats!!
Wisteria of Skullspire:I saw that too!
Simon N. (GM):SQUEAK!
Gorlock roll init
Arian (Kimberly):OOC Who uses a bow the most?
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d20+2
(
11
)
+2
=
13
Gorlock (Tony):
17
INITIATIVE (2)
Simon N. (GM):ok Gorlock your go
Greeba (Jelena):OOC not me! We could sell them if no-one's interested
Gorlock (Tony):
19
120
Eldritch Blast (+5)
13force
closest one
Arian (Kimberly):oh one of us is bound to have a bow!
Simon N. (GM):A rat explodes
rolling 2d6
(
4
+
2
)
=
6
The second rat dives under the debris
Arian (Kimberly):I have proficiency in it, but I don't have a bow.
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC I use a bow occasioanlly
Arian (Kimberly):OOC cool, we can split stuff later.
Simon N. (GM):it makes it into a rathole and scurries away
Greeba (Jelena):The one west of me?
Eamon (Bill):i have a longbow
and can use it
Arian (Kimberly):I go in to search the room
7
PERCEPTION (4)
haha
Simon N. (GM):Looks like orcs laired here
Greeba (Jelena):Another birdcage, and what are those rolls?
Arian (Kimberly):Ok, Bill, we'll sort it later then, definitely!
Wisteria of Skullspire:I think black-fletched arrows are more Wisteria's style though ;-)
Gorlock (Tony):
9
PERCEPTION (1)
Greeba (Jelena):Ah, bedrolls?
Simon N. (GM):A large pile of smashed and rotten furniture stands against one
wall. The remains of a collapsed chest jut forth. Also bedrolls
Wisteria of Skullspire:What a mess!
Greeba (Jelena):Anything in the chest?
Gorlock (Tony):look rat droppings
Arian (Kimberly):
24
PERCEPTION (4)
Simon N. (GM)::)
Arian (Kimberly):I join Greeba to look in that room
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d15
(
5
)
=
5
Under a loose flagstone, Arian finds a small mouldy
pouch containing 57 sp and 56 gp.
Greeba (Jelena):Looks like we checked everything on this level
Arian (Kimberly):"I found some coin! But the pouch is a loss."
Elia :"Is someone being treasurer? Happy to chip in" looks hopeful :)
Arian (Kimberly):"Yes, I've made a note of what I've found. We should pool everything once we're done exploring. We shan't forget you, Elia."
Sirondar Altur Banacath:"Still this small door..."
Arian (Kimberly):"Or you, Sirondar."
He found a baby wee door
Greeba (Jelena):"is it for dwarves?"
Gorlock (Tony):teeeeny door
or a child
Arian (Kimberly):Shaggy door?
Sirondar Altur Banacath:"Hm... the stairs go down a long way."
Gorlock (Tony):Greeba smash
had to be said
Arian (Kimberly):There's also the tower in the lower right corner to look at later too, yes?
Let's open the wee little door first
Sirondar Altur Banacath:yup
Greeba (Jelena):"Can I open the door?
Simon N. (GM):The door judders then gives way...
Arian (Kimberly):pets Shaggy
(Does he seem nervous or ok?)
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC squeals with excitement
Greeba (Jelena):Oh, like Bob?
big smile
Simon N. (GM):The strange 5' long reptile-thing hisses at you
rolling 2d6
(
4
+
5
)
=
9
Arian (Kimberly):Greeba fits through the door??
Simon N. (GM):yup
Greeba (Jelena):(Is the door big enough to go througn?)
Simon N. (GM):it's about 2' wide
Arian (Kimberly):Can I try animal handling on it?
Gorlock (Tony):very weak thing, can we talk to it?
Simon N. (GM):just turn sideways
Greeba (Jelena):"Hello tweety!"
Gorlock (Tony):I have comprehend languages
Simon N. (GM):ok roll Animal Handling if adjacent to it
Arian (Kimberly):Ok, can I move up -- I heard Greeba's squeal of "Hey Tweety!"
Greeba (Jelena):
4
ANIMAL HANDLING (0)
Gorlock (Tony):nope
Simon N. (GM):yup
Arian (Kimberly):
19
ANIMAL HANDLING (4)
Gorlock (Tony):yep
Simon N. (GM):OK it was about to bite Greeba but Arian calms it down.
Greeba (Jelena):(OOC yet Bob likes me!)
Wisteria of Skullspire:Phew!
Simon N. (GM):roll Nature Arian (DC 10)
Arian (Kimberly):"Nice little drake-y"
Eamon (Bill):that's good
Arian (Kimberly):
12
NATURE (3)
Greeba (Jelena):offering it a drumstick from my pocket
Simon N. (GM):Arian realises it is little more than a baby
Arian (Kimberly):OOC Greeba carries a lot of drumsticks ;-)
Simon N. (GM):chomp chomp
Arian (Kimberly):"Oh, it's a wee little baby!"
Greeba (Jelena):(OOC Greeba has lots of pockets!
Arian (Kimberly):skritches it
Gorlock (Tony):OOC, where's mama
Simon N. (GM):It must be pretty Large when full grown
Arian (Kimberly):Can I examine the room?
11
PERCEPTION (4)
meh
Simon N. (GM):Arian you see a smashed vase, some kind of fabric inside
Arian (Kimberly):Is it tied up or was it just shut in here?
I take out the fabric.
Simon N. (GM):shut in looks like
Wisteria of Skullspire::-(
Arian (Kimberly):"Odd, to have fabric in a vase."
Simon N. (GM):unless it got through the high narrow window
it seems hungry & thirsty
Greeba (Jelena):does it like the drumstick?
Arian (Kimberly):I take out a water skin and a bowl and give it some water
Gorlock (Tony):all I have is boozy
Simon N. (GM):A gemmed dagger of black steel rolls out of the mouldy cloth. It glimmers darkly.
Arian (Kimberly):OOOH
Gorlock (Tony):ooooh
Arian (Kimberly):"I've found something."
Greeba (Jelena):eyes glinting at the dagger
Simon N. (GM):dark green malachites decorate the hilt of the slim straight blade
Arian (Kimberly):"But I'm not sure I should touch it."
Gorlock (Tony):I can make it NICER
later
Simon N. (GM):the drakeling drinks happily
Greeba (Jelena):"Maybe Wisteria can tell us?
Simon N. (GM):If you have Religion trained you can roll re the dagger
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):This dagger looks quite ominous....
Arian (Kimberly):Thibault? Wisteria? Perhaps you can examine this strange artifact?
Gorlock (Tony):-1
I aint got no religion
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
17
Religion(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Gorlock (Tony):Thib on the other hand
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I am trained
Arian (Kimberly):"It is pretty, but in a dark and terrifying way."
Wisteria of Skullspire:
rolling 1d20 +4
(
15
)
+4
=
19
Simon N. (GM):Thibault you have seen such things in books. It's a Cold Iron enchanted dagger, made to kill the demons of Narfell. Wisteria also recognises it.
Wisteria of Skullspire:It's pretty, that's for sure!
Simon N. (GM):GM: +1 dagger, +1d6 vs demons & fey
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Nice! Shall I keep it for the group ? Or Wisteria is more capable of using it?
Gorlock (Tony):sounds very wisteriaish
Arian (Kimberly):Does Wisteria use daggers?
Simon N. (GM):Anyone w dagger prof (or simple weapons) can use it
Greeba (Jelena):still trying to tempt the drakeling with a cold drumstick
Arian (Kimberly):Yes, I meant more of in a role-playing-ish way -- it seems a very Wisteria dagger ;-)
Gorlock (Tony):I could but no
Simon N. (GM):Dagger
melee weapon (simple, dagger)
Category: Items
Damage: 1d4
Damage Type: Piercing
Item Rarity: Standard
Simon N. (GM):Properties: Finesse, Light, Range, Thrown
Range: 20/60
Weight: 1
Gorlock (Tony):Mistress would be displeased
Wisteria of Skullspire:It is tempting, I must say!
Greeba (Jelena):I'm not interested in tiny weapons
Arian (Kimberly):Arian picks it up gingerly for now.
Gorlock (Tony):a bit too dark
Arian (Kimberly):For the accounting/splitting up later
Wisteria of Skullspire:I'll take it if noboby else would like it?
Gorlock (Tony):Wisteria, please
Simon N. (GM):OK W takes the magic dagger (it's non standard so note down its properties please)
Arian (Kimberly):Is the drakeling small enough to fit on a shoulder? If so, I'll encourage it onto my shoulder.
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC thanks guys! x
Simon N. (GM):no
Arian (Kimberly):hands dagger to Wisteria
Simon N. (GM):
rolling d2
(
2
)
=
2
She is 5' long from nose to tail tip
Heavier than Bob
Gorlock (Tony):Big shoulder
Arian (Kimberly):ok
Greeba (Jelena):really keen to get into the drakeling's good books
Arian (Kimberly):Can I attempt to use my good influence to introduce Greeba to the drakeling?
Gorlock (Tony):Is it talkative
Greeba (Jelena):(OOC Bob was heavy and I'm 6'2"
Simon N. (GM):ok
Arian (Kimberly):
8
ANIMAL HANDLING (4)
ha
Gorlock (Tony):you cant roll
Greeba (Jelena):not giving up
Arian (Kimberly):sometimes I can
Simon N. (GM):it doesn't seem to like Greeba, might be an anti Orc thing considering who likely shut it in here...
Greeba (Jelena):"here, drakeling, nice chicken...."
Gorlock (Tony):can it talk? In drakeling
Simon N. (GM):no
Gorlock (Tony):rats
Arian (Kimberly):"O mighty little one, we'll be back with more food."
Simon N. (GM):(Bob can talk draconic though)
Arian (Kimberly):OOC I wonder if it would like dead rats
Gorlock (Tony):It can lick Greeba
covered
Greeba (Jelena):LOL, splashed with rat bits
Simon N. (GM):yum
Arian (Kimberly):Can I grab one of the dead rats and toss it to the drakeling?
Greeba (Jelena):OK, I'll bring him a rat carcass from the other room
Simon N. (GM):(ok) Tiffany returns
Arian (Kimberly):Or, if it's too giant, i guess I could hack a piece off of a dead rat
Gorlock (Tony):\Hey Tiff,
Whatdidyasee
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"Hi Gorlock! I searched the tower - no monsters, just blood and some supplies upstairs."
Arian (Kimberly):Shaggy: sniffs at sprite, strange sparkley thing
Wisteria of Skullspire:Blood?
Gorlock (Tony):anything downstairs
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"A blood smear across the ground yes. And it smelt of wolf!"
Gorlock (Tony):hmmm
Arian (Kimberly):I like how Torgin is just guarding the dead half-orc's body
Gorlock (Tony):more dead wolves
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"You want me to fly down those stairs?"
Gorlock (Tony):please
Arian (Kimberly):Invisibly, perhaps?
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"Okey-dokey!" vanishes
Arian (Kimberly):skritches drakeling under chin
"If you like dead rats, we've got loads!"
"Freshly dead at that!"
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:appears
"I couldn't see anything! It's too dark! blush"
"Sorry!"
Greeba (Jelena):"I have darkvision, let's go downstairs!
Gorlock (Tony):OOC-imps have demon vision...:(
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:
Darkness (Eyes of the Dark)
Evocation 2
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 ft
Components: V, M (Bat fur and a drop of pitch or piece of coal)
Duration: Concentration Up to 10 minutes
Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot radius sphere for the duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.

If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it. Completely covering the source of the darkness with an opaque object, such as a bowl or a helm, blocks the darkness.

If any of this spell's area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.
SPELL SAVE DC: 13
Greeba (Jelena):"Bye for now, drakeling!
Arian (Kimberly):whistles for Shaggy
introduces Shaggy and drakeling "No eating each other, please."
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:Sorry that was Elia checking her spell list :)
Gorlock (Tony):hmm
Greeba (Jelena):So it's not magical darkness downstairs?
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"It's just really dark! I could hear running water..."
Gorlock (Tony):shal e
shall we
Arian (Kimberly):Do I know anything about drakelings? It's not any kind of water-related creature, is it?
Gorlock (Tony):brb
Arian (Kimberly):Nature check?
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:it's a baby drake :)
Simon N. (GM):ok you descend steps...
Arian (Kimberly):I will go...not first.
Simon N. (GM):light sources?
Greeba (Jelena):I'll go, darkvision
Arian (Kimberly):darkvision here too
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Darkvision 60ft
Gorlock (Tony):yep
me too
Arian (Kimberly):Xarius too
Gorlock (Tony):half elves unite
Simon N. (GM):Sirondar: "I shall stay upstairs? I cannot see in the dark, friends."
Greeba (Jelena):Wow, who here can't see in the dark?
Arian (Kimberly):"Shaggy, can you stay here unless I whistle?" (does it look like he understands?)
Gorlock (Tony):hhhh humnas
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"Me neither!"
Gorlock (Tony):humans
Greeba (Jelena):"Thank Sirondar, yes
Arian (Kimberly):What is Elia again?
Simon N. (GM):Yes Shaggy is actually well trained & will stay
Arian (Kimberly):"Good boy, Shaggy"
Simon N. (GM):Elia is a human Shadow Sorcerer, apparently she can see in the dark...
Gorlock (Tony):I have Light cantrip
FOR DESCRIPTION ONLY
Light
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Components: V, M
You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.

If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
SPELL SAVE DC: 13
worth a go to get more meat shields?
Wisteria of Skullspire:Wisteria will go too as also has darkvision.
(although not particluarly a meat shield!)
Greeba (Jelena):Maybe not yet, Gorlock
Gorlock (Tony):ok, leave the poor humans to guard our back
Elia :"I have 'eyes of the dark', no worries..."
Simon N. (GM):& Eamon has night vision goggles from the monastery
Gorlock (Tony):ahhh
Arian (Kimberly):Fancy goggles, Eamon!
Eamon (Bill):yep
Gorlock (Tony):steam punck no less
I've got the real deal here
spikey
Arian (Kimberly):Maz Kinata goggles
Simon N. (GM):OK descending the steps (Sirondar & Tiff staying where there is some dim light) you come down into a large cavern.
Arian (Kimberly):whispers This seems quite large.
Simon N. (GM):You see the soft glow of a fire beetle.
Gorlock (Tony):glow worms
Greeba (Jelena):Some more mushrooms for the druid
Arian (Kimberly):Do we hear anything?
(I shall certainly inspect those later)
Simon N. (GM):You hear water to the east - a stream, maybe a waterfall?
Arian (Kimberly):whispers Shall we go towards or away from the water?
Greeba (Jelena):What is that coppery shine on the floor next to the fire beetle?
Wisteria of Skullspire:Hmmm, I'm not sure of this place.........
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Simon, do I need to do another divine sense on this level or my previous one counts?
Simon N. (GM):looks like fungus
Greeba (Jelena):OOC at least it's not beetle poo!
Simon N. (GM):>>Divine Sense
The presence of strong evil registers on your se⁠nses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestia⁠l, fiend, or Undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. <<
Gorlock (Tony):shall we try east
Simon N. (GM):use it again?
Gorlock (Tony):Tiiff, is Celestial
shall we go a little further
Greeba (Jelena):no point, as we can't see anything (so if anything's there it would have total cover)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I'll wait a bit...
Gorlock (Tony):east???
Simon N. (GM):ok move if you are moving up to x2 speed pls
Greeba (Jelena):Are those black semi-circles pillars?
Simon N. (GM):black is solid rock yes
walls & natural pillars
stalagmite/stalactite join
ok
ok
can move again
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):double moved
Simon N. (GM):Greeba the water sounds grow louder
Arian (Kimberly):whispers Elia, did you hear them talk of this place at all?
Greeba (Jelena):is it all the same level, or going down?
Simon N. (GM):descending slightly
Elia :"Hm... yeah... "
Arian (Kimberly):whispers And what did you hear?
Elia :"Velzz said there was an escape route down here if anyone stormed the fort. he'd take me with him"
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I don;t double move anymore so I keep my action just in case.
Greeba (Jelena):Do we see the water yet?
Elia :"And feed me to the giant bats"
Gorlock (Tony):ya rats and bats, our fav
Elia :You see water ahead
Greeba (Jelena):Any boats visible?
Simon N. (GM):Gorlock you have light cantrip running?
Arian (Kimberly):whispers He wasn't very nice. Sometime, you will have to tell us how you wound up with him.
Simon N. (GM):otherwise Tiff blind
Arian (Kimberly):Is there any noise?
Gorlock (Tony):I can light up Thibs weapon
Elia :"Sometime..."
Gorlock (Tony):Tiff, hop on for a ride for now
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I check if I have footing to pass through
Using my sword for instance
or a javelin!
Simon N. (GM):OK Tiff hitches a ride
Gorlock (Tony):Piggy back...
Arian (Kimberly):Do I hear anything other than the sound of rushing water?
Simon N. (GM):The water is about 3' deep at the edge
you hear waterfall close by
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I pass through on the other side...
Simon N. (GM):Looks like it gets deeper further out
small white cave fishes in the water
Greeba (Jelena):The waterfall is descending towards us?
Simon N. (GM):yes
water flows in from N and out to S
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):How is th ecurrent where I am. Can I pass easily?
Simon N. (GM):Moderately fast, keeping balance in 4' deep water might be hardest thing
Gorlock (Tony):thou shall not pass
Simon N. (GM):You don't want to get sucked into south crevice, no air!
Greeba (Jelena):Anything shiny to attract us on the other side?
Gorlock (Tony):time for light?
Simon N. (GM):you detect a faint fire beetle glow
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):OK I will try to pass fomr where I am now. With Greeba insuring me with a rope.
Gorlock (Tony):
FOR DESCRIPTION ONLY
Light
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Components: V, M
You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.

If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
SPELL SAVE DC: 13
Simon N. (GM):ok
Gorlock (Tony):shall we?
tiff can touch
Simon N. (GM):Thibault heads into water? If so move in
Gorlock (Tony):deep conversation on messenger
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):We are trying to decide if we wanna go east or S
I move est with greeba roping me in if I fall (th erope is around my waist)
Greeba (Jelena):*Holding rope that's tied around Thibault's chest
Simon N. (GM):OK Thib roll Acrobatics
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
17
Acrobatics(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Simon N. (GM):current not strong there so DC 5
Gorlock (Tony):well done
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):The 1 was just besides it
Eamon (Bill):"this beetle looks unsettled be careful something worse might be around"
Simon N. (GM):You wade across ok , water reaching your shoulders
Gorlock (Tony):spy
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Thanks Eamon. I'll becareful
I'd like to make a monkey rope across the river and get everybody across that way!
Greeba (Jelena):Someone else take the rope now, I will join Thib
Simon N. (GM):OK DC 5 Acrobatics Greeba
Greeba (Jelena):(How long is the rope? Do we need a second one? I have one too)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):I think our ropes are 25'
Simon N. (GM):50' ropes
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Perfect!
Greeba (Jelena):
6
ACROBATICS (1)
Just about!
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):OK now I move again and greeba insure me again.
Greeba (Jelena):OK
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
21
Acrobatics(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Greeba (Jelena):As you vault over the water...
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):To infinity and beyonnnnnd!
Gorlock (Tony):my go?
Simon N. (GM):
rolling 2d20
(
18
+
19
)
=
37
Gorlock (Tony):maybe not
Simon N. (GM):ok
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Helllooo!
Greeba (Jelena):Here's mummy!
Arian (Kimberly):Mummy drakeling!
Or, rather, Mummy drake
Gorlock (Tony):drake
Simon N. (GM):The giant drake rushes out of the darkness (PP 20 or Surprised, so I'll just roll its attacks)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):12
Gorlock (Tony):my weaopn has 120ft range
Greeba (Jelena):Can I pull Thib back?
Simon N. (GM):It leaps on Thibault w razor sharp fangs and claws
You are all Surprised
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):It was nice kowing you alll
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC I wonder if we can communicate to it that it's baby is safe?
Gorlock (Tony):crikey, where's baby
Arian (Kimberly):OOC Could we yell to Sirondar after we get over our surprise to bring down baby?
Can a drake understand language?
Simon N. (GM):
rolling 3d20
(
20
+
2
+
12
)
=
34
Gorlock (Tony):I light up tiff and ask her to run for help
get baby
Simon N. (GM):crit w claw, 2nd claw & bite are deflected
rolling 2d8+3
(
5
+
3
)
+3
=
11
Thib 17/28
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Ouch!
Simon N. (GM):yes you can yell
rolling d20
(
8
)
=
8
Wisteria of Skullspire:Can drake understand Dragon langauge?
Arian (Kimberly):
21
INITIATIVE (2)
Gorlock (Tony):
10
INITIATIVE (2)
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 2
Greeba (Jelena):
4
INITIATIVE (1)
Simon N. (GM):OK if you can read this, roll init :)
Gorlock (Tony):
19
INITIATIVE (2)
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):
5
Initiative(+1)
Thibault of Brandiar, Knight of the Golden Cup
Wisteria of Skullspire:
2
INITIATIVE (1)
Simon N. (GM):whew connection restored :)
Max:
13
INITIATIVE (2)
Eamon (Bill):
14
INITIATIVE (3)
Simon N. (GM):#21 Arian
Wisteria of Skullspire:OOC I'll be back for my initiative brb
Arian (Kimberly):Ok, first, I'll yell "Sirondar, bring the baby down -- RIGHT NOW!"
Then, can I attempt animal handling from where I am?
Simon N. (GM):
Initiative
Initiative: 6
no
Arian (Kimberly):Ok
Simon N. (GM):GM: You can roll Nature
Arian (Kimberly):
7
NATURE (3)
bleh
Simon N. (GM):fail
Arian (Kimberly):
FOR DESCRIPTION ONLY
Healing Word
Evocation 1
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 60 feet
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
At Higher LevelsWhen you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the Healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.
SPELL SAVE DC: 12
Sirondar Altur Banacath:"I'll try!"
Arian (Kimberly):I can healing word on Thib
Gorlock (Tony):might as well be in the sewers of london
Greeba (Jelena):"You have a strong voice, Arian! Impressive for an elf!"
Arian (Kimberly):
2Healing
Higher Level Cast
4Healing
60 feet
Healing Word
oh geez
Sirondar Altur Banacath:6 back?
Arian (Kimberly):yeah
better than nothing
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Still good! Thanks Arian
Simon N. (GM):ok still have Action
eg cantrip
Arian (Kimberly):hm
Gorlock (Tony):trying to get yo u to not attacjk
Arian (Kimberly):Ok, I'll just cast my Shilleleagh but not do anything
Simon N. (GM):no, that is a BA
YOu used BA already
Arian (Kimberly):ok
Gorlock (Tony):I can get tiff to touch him if she can see him
Simon N. (GM):#Gorlock
Arian (Kimberly):I'll say "Please calm down mother, we found your baby" and hope she understand a bit of that
Simon N. (GM):The drake looks pretty intent on killing Thibault
Gorlock (Tony):Can tiff see?
Simon N. (GM):yes
Gorlock (Tony):I'd like to have tiff touch Thib and cast Cure wounds
Simon N. (GM):Anything in the fire beetle light is dim light
Gorlock (Tony):Should be good
rolling 2d8+3
(
3
+
2
)
+3
=
8
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"wheee!" touch
Gorlock (Tony):crap
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:full hp
Thibault of Brandiar (Phil):Sweet! Thanks lovely celestial !
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:"It was Gorlock really!" smiles
Gorlock (Tony):sweet
Tiffany, Angelic Sprite:#Eamon
Gorlock (Tony):run sprite run